Registry error message with live mesh installation RRS feed

• Question

• I have vista home. I can't install live mesh. As soon as I double click on the liveMesh.exe file I get this message:

"please reboot to fix registry corruption". I cleaned my registry and everything, reboot many times and still get this message. The message appear immediately after I start the installation. Never had any problem like that before.

Please Help!

Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've gathered some additional information that may help. When Live Mesh attempts to install it checks if registry reflection is working to verify that per-user COM registration will work. Since the error you're encountering happens right after a fresh reboot, it is possible that your user profile is corrupted. One thing you could try is to create a new profile (new account), and see if you can install Live Mesh under that profile.

If this works, but you need to repair your current profile, you may wish to search www.msdn.com for instructions on how to delete the corrupted files by logging into a different admin account and letting the OS recreate them for you.

Please let me know if that helps or not, and I will continue to follow up with other Live Mesh team members internally.

Thanks,

Ben.

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's possible that Live Mesh got far enough to at least generate the Servicing log it generates when installation fails.  If so, please submit a bug report with that log attached.  There is an Announcement at the top of the forums with all the information for collecting these logs and submitting them to the Live Mesh team.

Please let me know if you are unable to collect these logs and we'll try other avenues for determining what's going wrong.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Hey,

I had checked for the logs and no, it doesn't create any folder nor log files. I think the installation process doesn't even start as I get the error message something like 0.01 sec after I click "run".

Thank you very much for your help!!
    • Marked as answer by albucian Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by albucian Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:56 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

I've gathered some additional information that may help. When Live Mesh attempts to install it checks if registry reflection is working to verify that per-user COM registration will work. Since the error you're encountering happens right after a fresh reboot, it is possible that your user profile is corrupted. One thing you could try is to create a new profile (new account), and see if you can install Live Mesh under that profile.

If this works, but you need to repair your current profile, you may wish to search www.msdn.com for instructions on how to delete the corrupted files by logging into a different admin account and letting the OS recreate them for you.

Please let me know if that helps or not, and I will continue to follow up with other Live Mesh team members internally.

Thanks,

Ben.

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Well, so I just did that, I created a new admin account, and indeed (!) I could install livemesh without any problem. Unfortunately it's not accessible from my regular account :(. I would be very happy if you can help me with repairing my regular account. Do you think it would better to migrate to a new account to restart with a fresh stuff?

Again thank you very much!!!
    Friday, July 18, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to repairing a corrupted Windows user account.  I would suggest either searching www.msdn.com or contacting Windows support to see if you can find someone who can walk you through the process.  Of course, if you find that simply migrating everything to your new account is easier....

I'm sorry I'm unable to be of more help.

Ben.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue here with a corrupted profile preventing installation.  The error message points us to a fix for XP profile corruption.  Unfortunately, there is almost no information available on solving this issue on Vista.

Let me know if you find a fix, I have been searching high and low.

Douglas
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Hey,
    I actually didn't find a direct solution to the problem. However, one thing you can do is to create a new account on your vista. I know it's annoying, but it could also solve some other problems that are related to that user account corruption. I did it, it was a pain because I needed to reinstall some applications, but now I'm very happy ;). I think my account got corrupted when I installed SP1, I'm not sure though...

Good luck.

(PS : create a new administrator account!)
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:27 PM
  •  Thanks for the response.  I created a new user but was unable to login to that account.  The user profile service was unable to start.

I'll dig around on the Internet and see if I can't find an answer to this new issue.  It sounds like they are related.

- Douglas
    • Edited by DouglasSeven Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:27 PM typo
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:26 PM
  • I also am having trouble installing Live Mesh on a new emachine computer that has nothing installed. I did some research and it appears to be a problem with a server over which I have no control. Here is the Microsoft database report on error code 80040020 that shuts down the installation. I tried running livemesh.exe from C drive and that also fails with the same error code when it tries to access the Internet. How can I find out which server is involved and get this patched?

SYMPTOMS

When you use Collaboration Data Objects for Microsoft Windows NT Server (CDONTS) to send a large number of messages using multiple threads, the Send method may return the following Windows NT error code:
    Code: 32L
    Name: ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
    Description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Note that the Windows NT error code may be displayed as 80040020, 80070020, or another similar number.

In addition, one or more messages may not be sent. These problems can occur when you use the Send method with the CDONTS NewMail object or Message object. To work around this problem, use a critical section to serialize calls to the Send method.

CAUSE

When you use CDONTS to send messages, the messages are converted to files. These files are stored in a folder until they are transferred using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). The names of these files are based on the current system time. If more than one message is sent during the same clock cycle, both files are given the same name. When this occurs, the Send method returns the error code described above.

When you use CDONTS to send a large number of messages using multiple threads, it is more likely that multiple messages will be sent during the same clock cycle. This behavior is commonly observed with ASP pages.

Under certain circumstances, creating multiple files with the same name may cause one or more messages to be overwritten. When this occurs, the messages that are overwritten are not delivered.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Diogenes1234 said:

I also am having trouble installing Live Mesh on a new emachine computer that has nothing installed. I did some research and it appears to be a problem with a server over which I have no control. Here is the Microsoft database report on error code 80040020 that shuts down the installation. I tried running livemesh.exe from C drive and that also fails with the same error code when it tries to access the Internet. How can I find out which server is involved and get this patched?

SYMPTOMS

When you use Collaboration Data Objects for Microsoft Windows NT Server (CDONTS) to send a large number of messages using multiple threads, the Send method may return the following Windows NT error code:
    Code: 32L
    Name: ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
    Description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Note that the Windows NT error code may be displayed as 80040020, 80070020, or another similar number.

In addition, one or more messages may not be sent. These problems can occur when you use the Send method with the CDONTS NewMail object or Message object. To work around this problem, use a critical section to serialize calls to the Send method.

CAUSE

When you use CDONTS to send messages, the messages are converted to files. These files are stored in a folder until they are transferred using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). The names of these files are based on the current system time. If more than one message is sent during the same clock cycle, both files are given the same name. When this occurs, the Send method returns the error code described above.

When you use CDONTS to send a large number of messages using multiple threads, it is more likely that multiple messages will be sent during the same clock cycle. This behavior is commonly observed with ASP pages.

Under certain circumstances, creating multiple files with the same name may cause one or more messages to be overwritten. When this occurs, the messages that are overwritten are not delivered.

Hi,

If you could collect any Live Mesh logs that you might have (if installation is failing, you may have one or the other of our Servicing*.log files) - instructions for collecting logs are in an Announcement at the top of the forums - and send those logs to lmprev@microsoft.com we'll take a look.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:47 PM
  • I was able to install Live Mesh by downloading it and running the installer locally.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:46 PM