Unable to access newly created folders without logging off and back on again - is this right ?? RRS feed

• Question

• I logged on to my laptop tonight and then created a new folder within the WHS console and set the relevent permissions, I then closed the console and opened the 'shared folders on server' folder where I was able to gain access to the new folder straight away - fine I thought, but,

A bit later on I decided that I needed a couple of more new folders so I followed the same process as before but was unable to access the folders, just got the usual 'folder not accessible - check your permissions blah, blah, blah' so I logged out of my account and then logged straight back in and was then able to access the folders,

So, my question is this, is this correct behaviour for accessing a newly created folder on the server ?

It seems a bit of a long winded way to do it if it is, as I want to be able to create a folder, set the permissions and access it straight away.

Surely I shouldn't need to log in and out everytime to make the folder available ??

Please advise - thanks.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:33 PM

Answers

• The behavior you observed is standard Windows security in action. When you first access resources on the server (after you created the first share) your local computer caches your rights on the server as they exist at that time. Then it uses that cached informaiton in the future. If you create an additional share, no information about that was cached, so you can't access it. Logging off your PC and back on is the easiest way to clear that cached informaiton. There are also command line tools that can clear it, but there is no simple button to click in Windows, I'm afraid.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:45 PM

All replies

• The behavior you observed is standard Windows security in action. When you first access resources on the server (after you created the first share) your local computer caches your rights on the server as they exist at that time. Then it uses that cached informaiton in the future. If you create an additional share, no information about that was cached, so you can't access it. Logging off your PC and back on is the easiest way to clear that cached informaiton. There are also command line tools that can clear it, but there is no simple button to click in Windows, I'm afraid.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:45 PM
  • So are you saying that I will definitely have to log out and then in everytime I create a new folder in order to access it ?

If there are other options or ways around this could you please enlighten me as to what they are as I find this a bit frustrating.

Thanks
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:43 PM
  • See this thread for an alternate method of purging cached credentials. But I think you will create new shares rarely enough that you won't mind logging out when you do so, as what I wrote there is true: you must purge every connection to your server to remove the cached credentials. Leave even one and you keep the cache.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:46 PM
  • HARRYSPADGE said:

So are you saying that I will definitely have to log out and then in everytime I create a new folder in order to access it ?

If there are other options or ways around this could you please enlighten me as to what they are as I find this a bit frustrating.

Thanks

Note the distinction. You only have to log off and log in when you create a new share on the WHS console. As Ken points out above, that is fairly rare.

You will probably end up creating folders and subfolders within those shares from your PCs. You will NOT have to logoff and login again to access those folders.

Hope this helps.

Friday, March 20, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, and just to clarify why I asked this question,

I am actually at the stage of moving files of my old XP server to my WHS, and the files on the XP server are all over the place, so to get it a bit more organised I am creating the new folders as I go.

I realise that I will only be creating new shares rarely once it's all sorted out, but it was just a bit annoying during this process. 
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:08 PM