MODT (Mobile on DeskTop) Server build RRS feed

• Question

•  

Good day all:

I would liike to build a MODT server (Mobile on desktop) server. I am hoping that a forum member has already built one or can lead me in the right direction.

I would like to place a MODT mobo/cpu/ in a Mid tower case, that can hold at least 6 SATA II drives (so that mobo need at least 6 SATA ports)

If you could list what you think i need that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 2:46 AM

All replies

•  

I built one a few months back based on a Tyan server board and really like the low power and peformance-on-demand attributes of MODT.  Initially I tried an Asus N4L-VM, but it proved too flaky for server duty, so I went for theTyan Tomcat S3095.  Here's my setup:

Tyan Tomcat S3095-G3NR Intel 945GM Flex ATX Server Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 Merom 1.66GHz Socket M Processor

Noctua NC-U6 passive chipset cooler on the CPU

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667

Adaptec 1430SA 4-port SATA Controller Card PCIe 4x (for expansion later)

1-SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA

1-HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA

SeaSonic S12 Energy+ SS-550HT ATX12V/EPS12V

LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

The Tomcat is Flex-ATX, so you can fit it in about any case, but keep in mind that it requires server-quality EPS12V psu. It also has PCIe 4x slot for SATA expansion card.  Make sure that your mobile cpu is 64-bit capable for future upgrades to the OS.  Most of the time the cpu throttles down to 1GHz and 0.95V, so it's very low power most of the day, but it has no problems streaming video and decoding FLAC music at dual core full power.  I have good case air flow, and the passive cooler on the cpu keeps it around 30C at idle, and the system is dead quiet.........Fred

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:00 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply to the thread.

I do have a questions, how was this setup for HD Streaming? If i have two different stream going, would max out the server.

Also, where/what store did you purchase these items?

thanks

S

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:04 AM
  • I haven't tried streaming HD, but decoding H.264 is fairly processor intensive, especialy if you dont have a dedicated GPU doing the work.  You could upgrade to a T7x00 series cpu if you intend to decode on the fly, but I expect the T5400 won't have a problem streaming decoded content.  As far as dual HD streams.....you'd somehow have to get a GPU involved, but I am not sure of WHS OS capabilites in this area.  I purchased most of the kit from Newegg, and I got the Noctua and some Skythe case fans from Frozencpu.com. 

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:24 AM
  •  fwki wrote:

I built one a few months back based on a Tyan server board and really like the low power and peformance-on-demand attributes of MODT.  Initially I tried an Asus N4L-VM, but it proved too flaky for server duty, so I went for theTyan Tomcat S3095.  Here's my setup:

The Asus N4L-VM was a disappointment as a home media center (which is what it was geared towards), but has turned out to be great WHS for me.

The problem (why it was a disappointment as a media center) was that it would become flaky if you installed more than one stick of memory, or if you had a PCI-Express video card with other PCI cards or had both memory slots filled.  It's well documented (on Asus own forums no less!) and there is no fix other than to drop down to one stick of memory and be careful what expansion cards you use.

That said, I'm using onboard video, one stick of memory, and an 8-port SATA Highpoint card, and have had no problem in several months of usage.

This is my setup:

Asus N4L-VM motherboard with an Intel Core Duo T2400

Highpoint Rocketraid 1820a (8-port SATA)

1G Memory (1 DIMM)

Primary: 1x 300G Seagate

Secondary: 2x 300G Seagate, 2x 500GB Seagate, 2x 500GB Western Digital

Antec P180 Case with 550W PSU

USB DVD Burner (only hooked up when installing WHS)

I would not necessarily recommend this motherboard to others, unless they can get it at a cheap price and understand the limitations, but without a doubt I would highly recommend Mobile on Desktop as a great server setup, because it runs very quiet and uses little power. I've never come close to maxing out my T2400. I have a Mac Pro with OS X as my primary desktop/workstation and so my requirements for a WHS were basically quiet, lots of drives, and low power, and the Intel mobile Core Duo/2 CPUs fill that requirement nicely!

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:46 AM
  • Good point on the N4L-VM.  I saw the Asus forum posts, but made my move to the Tyan and don't have a cpu to try and rehabilitate the thing.  I'll sell it cheap on ebay if anyone wants to give it a run...........Fred

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:56 AM