Is there a definitive solution to MS Money and Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using MS Money (UK version) for many years so have quite a big file.

I have Windows 10 on a new (previously Windows 8.1) laptop.  I have tried the Sunset Money and my old Installation CD

It seems to run I cannot open my old MNY file or its backup which I transferred to the laptop via a memory stick.

It is not read-only, I have permission to change as far as I can see and the drive is not write-protected

I looked at importing QIF files for each account on the copy of MONEY but it seems to be a lot of work to do them all individually. 

I have been looking at the messages on here but there seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions about what does and does not work.

If there was a good alternative then I would buy it but not seen one yet.

MB

• Edited by Lundavra Thursday, August 27, 2015 12:03 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:57 AM

Answers

• It is likely that the Money version on your disk requires an online update which is no longer available.  Fortunately, the second "sticky" in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

has a version of Money for UK that has the update included.  Uninstall the version from your disk and then download and install Money 2005 UK - QFE2, -  the UK version from that link.

You should also be sure that you have applied all the latest updates to Windows 10.  Money will show an error if you haven't applied the 8/12/2015 updates.

Please post back and let us know if this works for you or if you need more help.

Bill Becker

Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:29 PM

All replies

• It is likely that the Money version on your disk requires an online update which is no longer available.  Fortunately, the second "sticky" in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

has a version of Money for UK that has the update included.  Uninstall the version from your disk and then download and install Money 2005 UK - QFE2, -  the UK version from that link.

You should also be sure that you have applied all the latest updates to Windows 10.  Money will show an error if you haven't applied the 8/12/2015 updates.

Please post back and let us know if this works for you or if you need more help.

Bill Becker

Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:29 PM
  • Thanks, that looks fine.

Opens my old file OK, I have a couple of bills to pay shortly so will be able to see if it accepts the details correctly.  It was getting very confusing with what seemed tobe lots of contradictory information!

MB

MB

Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:55 PM
  • Thanks for posting this.  I recently loaded W10, and my MS Money 2005 (version from the link above) is working just fine.  What I cannot do is remove my Live ID password from the file.

I get to the tick box to "remove my financial data from the web" within the file, but the box to be ticked is greyed out and cannot be used.

Is there any information on dealing with this.  I have tried to do this while the file is both online and offline.

All assistance gratefully received.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 10:39 PM
  • Assuming that you are using the Money 2005 UK version, per Cal Learner in this thread:

"... you cannot remove your Passport/LiveID from 2005 UK file. You could do QIF export and then import to a new file, but there is some disadvantage. On the plus side, you would have a very clean file."

Bill Becker

Friday, August 28, 2015 3:22 AM
  • After several days struggling to restore my backup file to Money 2004, which I was running on a new PC with Windows 10, this did the trick for me. Straight forward restore with no complications.

Thanks,

Joe Robson

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:20 AM
  • Thanks for your help.  I was hoping against hope that things may have moved on.  Since my file appears to be working well with W10 for the moment, I will attempt the export process when I have the proper amount of time to give to this.
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:54 AM