Cannot connect to remote computer RRS feed

• Question

• When linking via http://servername from within a LAN to WHS 2011, I select SERVER and I get this error message:

"Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because the Remote Desktop Gateway server address requested and the certificate subject name do not match.  Contact your network administrator for assistance."

Contact who?  Isn't it rather silly of Microsoft to tell me that?  I guess I am the network administrator, but I sure don't have the qualifications to be one.

Anybody have any assistance they would like to send my way?  Thanks.

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:28 AM

All replies

• Unless you bought your server, you are the Administrator as WHS2011 is an OEM product. I get that problem as I believe the Certificate is tied to your external name (e.g. server1.homeserver.com).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Phil is correct; the certificate is tied to the external name for the server. You don't need to use the server as a remote desktop proxy within your home network anyway; just connect directly to the computer you want to remotely access.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 12, 2011 7:20 PM
  • I bought the parts and put it together myself.  I am just a home user and this is my first build. 

What I am trying to do is connect from a PC to my server within my home LAN so I can see what https://servername.homserver.com looks like as I make changes.  I can connect from outside my home LAN (I use my cellphone for that) and I can connect via http://servername, but the former renders the home page for a mobile device and the latter has connection errors from links on the home page (hence the error message copied up above). 

I have a 2wire 2701HG-B from AT&T and a Cisco 8 port switcher connected to the 2701HG-B.  Ports 80, 443, and 4125 are all set.  I can confirm that ports 80 and 443 are open.  4125 is another story.  It is configured to be open, but I cannot confirm that.

It would be reassuring to see what actually appears on the internet from a PC on my home LAN.  That way any mistaken access settings could be corrected, media streaming problems corrected, and other issues addressed without having to leave my home to test everything from some other point of internet access.

By the way . . . is there a reason why the names on the certificates could not be made to match? 

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Luckily Port 425 is not required for WHS 2011 and Port 80 is only optional (only Port 443 being mandatory). You should be able to add an exception to your Browser to allow access with mismatched certificates.

If using your phone, you click on "View desktop version" before logging in you should be able to see the full web page for testing purposes. Remember to record the URL of the mobile page before you do so or you will not be able to get back to it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:12 AM
  • I knew that I could access a desktop screen on my mobile phone, but mobile phones are still very slow and not the same experience as a desktop. Regarding the issue of "certificate mismatch" if I disable the checking of mismatches in IE then I reduce security. That doesn't seem like a wise move. Since I am attempting to access the same "Server" box, how did it end up with mismatching certificates in the first place? Seems like there should be some way to correct this. At first I thought the fundamental problem was having the 2wire 2701HG-B connected to a router, thus shortcircuiting loopback. But then I realized I don't have a router connected to the 2wire 2701HG-B . . . I have an 8 port switch. But still I cannot go to Dashboard or Launchpad and click on Remote Web Access and be successful. All I get is "page cannot be displayed." Is it the 2wire 2701HG-B that is preventing access or not? If Remote Web Access wasn't meant to be a way to get to your homeserver from within you home, then why is there a clickable link on both Launchpad and Dashboard? Does this work for anybody? Why doesn't it work for me? I know my 2wire 2701HG-b is not UPnP. But I do not understand why RWA doesn't work within my home to access https://servername.homeserver.com. Is there some way to manually make this work?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:59 AM