open webpage from dialogs RRS feed

• Question

• Gents,

Kindly note that I am trying to use dialogs to open a webpage or navigate to another page of the CRM, I am using the MS CRM 2011 on premise version.

I know that dialogs are asynchronous and it is impossible to do this however there must be a workaround.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,

Joe Mouawad.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 2:10 PM

Answers

• Dear Alex,

Thank you for the reply.

I have found a workaround by opening a modal dialog on load of the entity and on closure I have attached an event so it will call a java script function which will do the logic for me, no need for a custom web page anymore.

Joe Mouawad.

• Marked as answer by Joe Mouawawd Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

are you trying to use dialogs specifically to open other pages, or is there some other logic in those dialogs? I guess in general the answer is "you can't do it with CRM dialogs", however, if you don't need any of the dialog pages/actions (if you just need to open a web page), you can, as well, create a ribbon button instead and attach a java script function to that button to open a new url.

If there is some other logic in the dialog which you need to run first, then you can't just throw in a step there to open a url. If you really needed/wanted this to become complicated, you might try to add a javascript on the form/ribbon that would be querying a custom CRM entity every 500(more or less) milliseconds to see if a request was made from the dialog to open a URL. And you would create those request records from your dialog. You would have to do some clean up once a url is open, and, also, you'd have to make those records "user owned" to make sure only the current user is affected.. and, maybe, add an "expiration" date on the request entity to make sure those records don't get stuck somehow..

Alex Shlega, TreecatSoftware.Com

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:57 PM
  • Dear Alex,

Thank you for the reply.

I have found a workaround by opening a modal dialog on load of the entity and on closure I have attached an event so it will call a java script function which will do the logic for me, no need for a custom web page anymore.

Joe Mouawad.

• Marked as answer by Joe Mouawawd Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:52 AM