locked
CPU spikes and slow backups RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello, this is my first post after lurking for awhile.  I'm having an issue with CPU spikes from 0% to (approx) 30-50% during daily operation on a new WHS server install.  Task Manager graph looks like a nice, tight sine wave.  When trying to do a backup, WHS slows to a crawl and is unusable.  If I try to open the console, it will either not open or take (literally) a couple of minutes to appear.  At this point, I don't know if the cpu spikes and slow backups are directly related.  As a result of slow backups (72+ hours for 1 machine), I have updated all drivers for WHS and the client machine.  I have also downloaded all available WHS updates and have not installed any add-ins, etc.  FYI, I am a complete WHS/Win2003 newbie.

    Any suggestions for improving performance and/or fixing the cpu spikes would be appreciated!

    Hardware:

    WHS:
    AMD Sempron 3400+
    ECS AMD690GM-M2
    1.5 GB DDR2 667
    2x Seagate 750GB 7200 SATA2, mobo based RAID 1    <---  Yes, I know about the support
    1 WD 160GB SATA2 (not part of storage due to data corruption issue)
    built-in video
    Lite-On DVD burner - IDE

    Client:
    XP Home sp2
    C2Q Q6600
    MSI 975x Platinum Power-up Edition
    4GB DDR2-800
    1x WD 80GB IDE
    2x WD 250GB SATA2, RAID 0
    1x Seagate 500GB USB external (not included in the WHS backup but is used for Acronis True Image backups)
    PCI Express video
    Samsung DVD burner

    Network
    Linksys FastE Switch with both machines in adajacent ports
    (other stuff that isn't important, i.e. Linksys WRT54GL router, switches, etc)



    Thanks,
    Todd


    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:06 PM

Answers

  • Well....the backup completed in 3hrs 10mins.  The CPU spikes are very minimal now, so it appears that the RAID was creating too much overhead (the spikes) and WHS didn't like the RAID.  I still want to do RAID and will look at adding a card sometime in the future.  The automated backup only took 7mins...so everything looks good (at the moment) with this PC.  Unfortunately, I'm having issues with the 2nd PC and will start a new thread for that one.

     

    Thanks,

    Todd

    Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:12 PM

All replies

  • Your hardware seems to have plenty of horsepower. It exceeds my specs and my incremental backups over 100mbit take 5 minutes or less. I have noticed the same cpu activity in task manager but have never experienced a slow down as severe as your account. Are you able to transfer large files quickly from a local machine to the shared folders to verify throughput?  You should be able see somewhere near the ballpark of 1 gig per minute over fastE (100mbit).

     

    old gigbyte 7vrxp

    athlonxp2200

    1.0 gig ddr

    promise uata onboard controller

    onboard 100mbit lan

    3x ata 250g

     

    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I was able to transfer about 1.75 GB in a couple of mins...I didn't time it but it was pretty quick.   I will install the Toolkit and see what it tells me.  Before I start swapping hardware (i.e. mobo), I will split the RAID array and see if that makes a difference.

    Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:17 AM
  •  

    Well, an update...I got impatient and deleted the RAID array and reinstalled.  The current backup is running MUCH faster and is at 90% completed after about 1.5 hrs for approx 120GB to backup.  Will update once it is completed.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Well....the backup completed in 3hrs 10mins.  The CPU spikes are very minimal now, so it appears that the RAID was creating too much overhead (the spikes) and WHS didn't like the RAID.  I still want to do RAID and will look at adding a card sometime in the future.  The automated backup only took 7mins...so everything looks good (at the moment) with this PC.  Unfortunately, I'm having issues with the 2nd PC and will start a new thread for that one.

     

    Thanks,

    Todd

    Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:12 PM