WHS performance drop when non-os disks reach 98% RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My WHS (service pack 2,all latest patches) is fitted with 2 1TB drives (WD GP's) and 2 1,5TB drives (Samsung ecogreen). I've turned off all the duplication to save space. As of yesterday my non-os drives hit 98% of their capacity.(The drive with the OS-partition on it is at 2% capacity). Almost immedeatly the WHS stopped performing. The OS-drive is constantly busy while cpu sits idle. Half of the time the system "freezes" up and not even the mouse pointer can be moved. It takes minutes to call up the task manager or any other diagnostic program. Logs show no errors or warnings. Today I moved some data off the WHS so the other drives would fall below 98% capacity and like a miracle the WHS server I used to know was back performing like nothing ever happened.

Anyone experienced this before?  What could be the problem?

• Edited by BartS. _ Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:35 PM typo
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:35 PM

Answers

• One of the disks dropped into PIO mode which explains the performance degridation.
    • Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:03 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

My WHS (service pack 2,all latest patches) is fitted with 2 1TB drives (WD GP's) and 2 1,5TB drives (Samsung ecogreen). I've turned off all the duplication to save space. As of yesterday my non-os drives hit 98% of their capacity.(The drive with the OS-partition on it is at 2% capacity). Almost immedeatly the WHS stopped performing. The OS-drive is constantly busy while cpu sits idle. Half of the time the system "freezes" up and not even the mouse pointer can be moved. It takes minutes to call up the task manager or any other diagnostic program. Logs show no errors or warnings. Today I moved some data off the WHS so the other drives would fall below 98% capacity and like a miracle the WHS server I used to know was back performing like nothing ever happened.

Anyone experienced this before?  What could be the problem?

You can try running chkdsk /r on all of the hard drives.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.  (At the very least, you should run it on the D partition.)
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Did excute the scripts as stated in the faq. It took the better part of a day to complete and chkdsk reported no errors whatsoever. I found just one strange warning in the system log: "source: atapi comment: disk ..... did not respond within the timeout period.
    • Edited by BartS. _ Monday, March 8, 2010 9:15 AM typo
    Monday, March 8, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Maybe one of your disks has a problem, which is present on one or some of the high end sectors, but still not that heavy, that the sector cannot be read at all.
    By chance the Add-In Home Server Smart can help you to get clarification.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 8, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Installed the home server smart and for now no errors show up all disks.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:45 AM
  • One of the disks dropped into PIO mode which explains the performance degridation.
    • Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:03 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:03 AM