XP product key does not work RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install XP on a laptop. I have two XP disks, both backups from decommioned PCs. I can't find the original PC disks, but I have used the backups before on their appropriate PCs.

But when I try either of the XP disks on the laptop, i get an error: The product id you entered is not valid". The product keys are real (the are on the chasis of the old PC). I am booting from the XP disk and installing in a new partition.

How can I get around this error?

have decommisioned two PCs abd

Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:53 AM

Answers

• "paulmrkj" wrote in message news:78a77644-89b8-4e71-8fa4-66fd2bd0eece...

I am trying to install XP on a laptop. I have two XP disks, both backups from decommioned PCs. I can't find the original PC disks, but I have used the backups before on their appropriate PCs.

But when I try either of the XP disks on the laptop, i get an error: The product id you entered is not valid". The product keys are real (the are on the chasis of the old PC). I am booting from the XP disk and installing in a new partition.

Are both the Key and the disk for the same edition of Windows? – a Home Key will not work with a Pro disk, and vice versa.
    You cannot transfer an OEM License from one PC to another, so you MUST use the Key from the computer on which you are attempting to install XP. (the others will be locked to their original machines)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 26, 2011 8:48 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:19 PM
  • You cannot transfer an OEM Windows XP license from one computer to another.  For all precatical purposes, those Windows XP licenses are now void.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• "paulmrkj" wrote in message news:78a77644-89b8-4e71-8fa4-66fd2bd0eece...

I am trying to install XP on a laptop. I have two XP disks, both backups from decommioned PCs. I can't find the original PC disks, but I have used the backups before on their appropriate PCs.

Are both the Key and the disk for the same edition of Windows? – a Home Key will not work with a Pro disk, and vice versa.
    You cannot transfer an OEM License from one PC to another, so you MUST use the Key from the computer on which you are attempting to install XP. (the others will be locked to their original machines)

Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:19 PM
  • You cannot transfer an OEM Windows XP license from one computer to another.  For all precatical purposes, those Windows XP licenses are now void.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:24 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:57c3a6cf-2c7f-4df5-8a75-5d16ba743c90...
    You cannot transfer an OEM Windows XP license from one computer to another.  For all precatical purposes, those Windows XP licenses are now void.
    Carey Frisch

I didn’t realise there was an echo in these forums

Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:44 PM