Deploy CRM 4.0 on SBS R2 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a customer already have AD setup within the organization and now they want to deploy CRM 4.0 solution.

I understand SBS 2003 has the following design constraints: only one server in a domain can be running SBS 2003; it must be the root of the Active Directory forest; you cannot create trust relationships with any other domains; and an SBS 2003 domain cannot have any child domains.

With such constraints, is it possible to deploy CRM 4.0 on SBS R2 while users will still be using their existing AD accounts instead of SBS domain accounts to access CRM system. If possible, how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:10 AM

Answers

• If you install CRM on an SBS Server, users from a different AD domain cannot access CRM with their AD accounts, because no trusts can be setup.

What is the reason behind wanting an SBS server ? Why not install CRM in the current AD domain ?

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:30 PM

All replies

• You can create org unit and put that in installation.

See implementation guide as well.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mscrmfreak/archive/2007/10/12/microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-versions.aspx

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Hi Imran,

Thanks for your information but can you please illustrate more on the org unit thingy. I've read the implementation guide as well as the link mentioned above but can not find the details on how to do that.

I have a basic question here, is it a must to establish the trust relationship between SBS domain e.g. CRMDomain and the existing organization domain e.g. MyCompony.com, or else how to sync accounts from existing AD MyCompony.com to CRM user database? The requirement is to use existing MyCompony.com AD accounts to access CRM system.

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:01 AM
  • If you install CRM on an SBS Server, users from a different AD domain cannot access CRM with their AD accounts, because no trusts can be setup.

What is the reason behind wanting an SBS server ? Why not install CRM in the current AD domain ?

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:30 PM
  • Thanks David. The customer wanted using SBS as they thought SBS is cheaper than buying SQL and CRM seperately. But if there is constraint, they probably have to discard the idea of using SBS.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:59 AM
  • There's that Bottom line thing again.

I like SBS and Cougar might be another option. Emphasis on the "Might" , but I agree that this is a bad place to save money.   

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:06 PM
  • I assume from this thread that the client currently has a NON-SBS network installation with an Active Directory. They are wanting to add an SBS server to host CRM. An SBS server cannot be added to an existing domain. However, you might be able to do a Swing Migration and migrate your existing Active Directory domain over to the SBS server. Go to www.SBSMigration.com for details on how to do that. Jeff Middleton, an SBS MVP, created a method for moving a domain and gives great support. See if that helps.

Larry - CRM MVP & SBS MVP Family Member

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:42 AM