Central backup - none hub systems cannot contact PC to which your backup device ios connected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, wondering if anyone else has run into this. Tried hunting on the internet but don't see it. I have three PCs, the hub PC is Vista Ultimate with a large external drive, the other systems are XP home and all set to backup to the central location. I see that directories have been created by onecare for each system. However on each of the other systems I get the following;

"OneCare could not contact the PC to which your external device is connected..." and a bunch of other stuff explaining why it's so important to back stuff up.

I can connect to shares on the drive from both of the non-hub systems but I was hoping not to configure each PC individually.

Do I have the logic wrong in that by setting central backup I don't need to connect to a share?

Thanks, most likely something really straight forward.

Kev.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:05 PM

Answers

• On the Vista PC with the external drive, make sure that the drive (or at least a folder on the drive) is designated as a Network Share and assign permission for Full Control to Everyone.

Further, the firewall on the Vista PC needs to be identified in OneCare as "home or work" or the Share will not be seen by the other PCs.

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:13 PM