Tracking emails in CRM against Competitors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to activate activity (specifically email tracking) for the system's Competitors entity. The option is greyed out as you can only set it up when creating the entity, however since it is a system entity I don't think it was possible to do so! Is there any way of activating the tracking now? If all else fails, I guess it would be possible to recreate it as a custom entity where I can enable email tracking?

Regards,

Jack Naisbett

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:31 PM

Answers

• Yeah, go with a custom entity.

Rob

CRM MBSS Consultant - GAP Consulting Ltd.
    • Marked as answer by Jack Yaz Friday, February 4, 2011 12:15 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:19 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Jack,

There is no microsoft supported way to do this, hence falls into the unsupported bucket.

However, the following post will guide you acheiving the same with unsupported way,

http://yellowduckguy.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/crm-4-0-change-notes-or-activities-of-an-entity/

Note : Unsupported customizations has it own implications to the system

Cheers, Edwin
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Hi Edwin,

A comment at the bottom of that post says it doesn't work with system entities, which is what I'm after! Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll bear it in mind should I need to change tracking for custom entities.

Jack

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Ah, i just noted that sentence at the bottom of the post.

And yes, that was true - it did not work me as well when i tried now.

Cheers, Edwin
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Hi Jack,

If you need to track mail against a competitor, I'd be tempted to use the Account and mark these as Competitors in some way (check-box / 'account type' pick list value) and add further relationships as required (i.e. self ref to Account, N:N to Opportunity for 'multiple competitors' and/or 1:N for 'Main competitor'). By using accounts you gain the ability to send emails to the competitor aswell if you wish (maybe an 'unlucky you lost!' automated mail?)

If you don't like that idea then go for the custom entity.

Rob

• Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:25 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Rob,

My client would rather a totally separate area for competitors, as I had suggested using the Accounts and separating these in the same way you have mentioned, but that was a no-go. It seems like a separate custom entity is the way to go then?

Jack

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Yeah, go with a custom entity.

Rob

• Marked as answer by Jack Yaz Friday, February 4, 2011 12:15 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:19 PM
    Answerer