defrager sucks RRS feed

• Question

•  

Did tune up with one care , then went and did defrage with mine , it was bad, one care defrager sucks
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:32 AM

Answers

• The Defrag in OneCare Tune-up is the Defrag found on the Windows Start Menu under Accessories/System Tools.

Yes, it executes in a timed mode and the report at the end of Tune-up nearly always reports that it didn't complete.

That report should be eliminated and we should have the option to turn ff Defrag.

The reason you saw high fragmentation when running a 3rd party tool is that each Defrag tool uses a different algorithm to determine the optimal position of the data. One program will report perfection and another run immediately after will report terrible fragmentation present.

Unless you commonly use very large files that are changed regularly, disk defragmentation is over-rated with today's drive speeds and fairly fast seek times.

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:16 PM

All replies

• onecare - according to the moderators - is not allowed enough time to run defrag, but actually does it at other times????  

in a year of using this program, it has yet to give me any other message than "it's highly fragmented and will be defragged next time"

what kind of help is that!

I totally agree with justmewayne, btw - wait until you try restore if you think defrag is bad.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:18 PM
  • The Defrag in OneCare Tune-up is the Defrag found on the Windows Start Menu under Accessories/System Tools.

Yes, it executes in a timed mode and the report at the end of Tune-up nearly always reports that it didn't complete.

That report should be eliminated and we should have the option to turn ff Defrag.

The reason you saw high fragmentation when running a 3rd party tool is that each Defrag tool uses a different algorithm to determine the optimal position of the data. One program will report perfection and another run immediately after will report terrible fragmentation present.

Unless you commonly use very large files that are changed regularly, disk defragmentation is over-rated with today's drive speeds and fairly fast seek times.

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:16 PM