none
Must be recalculated reconicimiento consolidated? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All 

Must be recalculated reconicimiento consolidated?

Since I've been asked this question in another post that you have a response to another question, consider it necessary to open a new post to this question I want to clear.

Arguments:

Jaime

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the score for: Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the original question asker. + 10, is not it?

Now +15 or +20.
    Sean:

We haven't changed any of the points awarded for Forums between when it launched two months ago, no.

Jaime

The last update of the previous scheme showed +10, and as no image of the document kept Actal modified I can only refer to this one. And there is talk of +10.

So I think it should recalculate all the scores and necessarily increase. So when asked after apply this new scheme. Reply from which it began to participate.
    Please tell me if I'm wrong.

How is this done?

Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the community.

It refers to someone other than the questioner qualify as an answer?

This score is added if:

Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the original question asker.

And as someone other than the questioner may qualify as an answer, if now when questioner qualify as an answer there is no button to qualify for someone else?

Or to meet when the questioner did not qualify as an answer?

If so would enable the button again and recalculate the current scores are not?

Brent:

The basic idea is that we want users to help each other, this usually takes the form of an answer. Various users can mark answers but mostly it is moderators and the person that asked the question. The person that contributed the reply that is marked will get points and credit for that. When we rolled out the recognition changes back in July we ran the entire history of participation through the numbers (see the Recognition FAQ for specifics). Now regarding the differences in points contributions, again the FAQ is the place to see those details. 

At a high level we want users to get more points if the person that actually asked the question things so, who better then them to evaluate this? So in this case they get more than the usual historic 10 points. The other new thing in the system is that we want people to answer questions quickly, so replies that come quick that are validated as answers will get more than the 10 (see FAQ).

Let us know if there are more questions, I'm not sure I'm following some of the above. Hope I have helped, if not, let us know.

Jaime:

Thank you for responding Brent
    Precisely because i am reading Recognition FAQ all these doubts.
    Then any differences in how assign Recognition and why you say +10 but Recognition FAQ are +15,  must recalculate.
    Also repeatedly responds within 8 hours +20, must recalculate introducing algorithm for calculating time difference question answer.
    Also if someone else in the forum believes the answer is correct he should have access to qualify as such before or after the questioner qualifies or not, and you have to adapt the tool for this and recalculate.
    ============================
    Excuse my insistence, but with that statement and as the qualifying conditions have changed, I reiterate that must recalculate all accrued and necessarily will increase.

Jaime
    • Changed type JaimeH Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:08 PM

All replies

• So what are you asking here?

Are you saying that the point system has changed and hasn't been recalculated? Are you asking that the point system be recalculated if it has changed?

If that's the request, then the first step is to ask if the points have changed any.

Based on Sean's answer above, they haven't.

Likewise Brent's answer also does not say that the points have changed. Brent's answer tries to explain how it's possible to get more points for the same action (if your answer is marked as an answer more quickly by the community, then you get more points; this is because your answer is more valuable if the asker sees it and is helped by it immediately).

So the conclusion seems to be that no, none of the points ever changed. Brent is merely trying to explain to you how it works. The FAQ explains everything...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#How_do_I_earn_points_

Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the original question asker. +15

That means that if the asker marks your response as an answer, then you get 15 points. Doesn't matter when the Asker marks your answer (could be days later).

Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the community. +10

So "community" is code here for a Moderator, since no one other than Moderators or Askers can confirm an answer. If a Moderator has to confirm your answer, then you only get 10 points. But I believe an Asker can also confirm your answer (after a Moderator does), and then you'll get 5 more points (can anyone verify this?). However, if the Moderator marks your response as an answer within 8 hours...

Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the community in less than 8 hours. +15

...Then you get the full 15 points! This is because the Moderator saw that your answer is good and verified it as good. I think you only get 10 points if the moderator waits 8 hours is because the moderator might be waiting for a better answer. It's not a perfect system, but it's good and makes some sense.

And then all the points have these under them...

Your forum post that was marked as an answer when contributed in less than 8 hours was removed by the community. -15

Meaning that if your answer is ever un-marked by the Asker or Moderator, then you lose those points. That's because they are verifying that you didn't actually answer the question. I've seen some Askers do this the most, when they think it answers the question (or the Moderator does), but then the Asker tries the solution and it doesn't work for the Asker's problem. Sometimes it's hard to communicate a problem, and the specific problem and solution could be many different things.

Hope this helps!

That said, you could also be asking for a new feature (to change this existing system). It's hard to tell what you mean. If that's the case, you might want to make that clear in a new post, exactly what you want the new feature to do and make it a Discussion instead of a Question. Do you know how to do that?

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:11 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed

Thanks for that was the only one who has responded. But unfortunately it seems too bad the way they respond, and does not like to question what you are doing.

Well, I think like everyone I have a right to be here. I do not see why I should not do it, so my thinking or stating things you dislike.

Here is what I try to give clarity to the management that you make the recognition scheme, nothing more. For you may be very clear and excellent. I do not know if everyone thinks alike.

Be honest, the current scheme was exactly the same scheme that applied prior to publication?

In my opinion no, so you get upset and come up with another barrage. As Brent mentioned previously only 10 points, nothing more.

How do you think can be described as useful information that only helps to try to confuse. I think you understand what I'm saying and this is not what I want, like making an order. It is, if I am correct, you must recalculate under the new parameters just described. And clarified that this special report no personal gain or anything like that. A recalculation under the new parameters just affect the cumulative worldwide linked.

Because I know you understand what I'm saying I do not think need any other post.

Jaime 

• Edited by JaimeH Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:53 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Got it. Yes, the sceme probably never changed. What changed is the explanation of how it works. Now we can tell you exactly how it works. If you thought anyone ever said it changed, then it was misunderstood. No one meant to imply that it ever changed. (They weren't revealing the information yet, because they were still testing it to see if they wanted to change it first.)

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone thinks you shouldn't be here. Some folks might be frustrated  because they can't understand what you write.

Also to be clear, I never got upset. No one ever got upset with you in this thread. I was merely trying to answer your question. We thought you were asking "How does it work?" But you were asking "Could you please change it?" So we're not getting upset with you. We're merely confused by your English.

I can't always understand you either, which is why I wrote so much (I explained how the system works and then also talked about how you might need to clarify if you're asking for a new feature).

So please have patience with us (understand that we won't always know what you mean). We'll all have patience with you as we try to understand what you mean. Thank you!

So it's clear to me now that you're asking for a new feature. We have two options...

(1) If you want to keep this a question, the question is "Could you please consider this feature?" - The answer is "Yes. I will pass on this feature request to the correct people in charge of this area." I'll go ahead and do that, and then the question is answered. If the question is "Will you fix this now?" -- I can predict that they'll probably answer "No" -- but the feature request is still valuable and can help inform future decisions.

(2) If you want to keep this open for more discussion, then please change this post from a Question to a Discussion type -- since the question is answered (that we'll pass on the feature request).

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:02 PM
    Owner
  • Ed,

The calculation of points system did indeed change and everyone's points were re-calculated. There were many threads on the topic of 'lost' points when the new system went life, as originally everyone was awarded 2 points for a reply in a thread. I lost over 6K points (which I gained back with some additions since then), some people lost 30K+ points.

The award system also changed as 'quick' answers get now more points.

----------------

Unless you're discussing changes from the moment of the new recognition system went life. If that's the case, then I guess the metrics didn't change since that time.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Naomi,

Yes to your second answer. I think Jamie was talking about changing it from when it launched in August. Sean mentioned that they weren't revealing the exact numbers until they waited to make sure they weren't going to change them first.

I believe this thread was intended as a feature request to change the current system to recalculate the points when the answer factors change (for example, an Asker answers a question after a community person, and thus, the Answerer should receive an additional 5 points). However, this might be already what happens.

Thanks!

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:21 PM
    Owner
  • Thank Naomi and Ed.

If the system recalculated and is calculating all as the new scheme then wonderful all is well.

Jaime If you found this post helpful, please: VoteAsHelpful. If it answered your question, remember to: MarkAsAnswer.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Forgot to mention another way to lose points in the new vs. old system. If you marked your own reply as an answer (even if it indeed was an answer to someone's question), then the points are no longer being awarded. So, many moderators lost points with that change.

My blog

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Forgot to mention another way to lost points in the new vs. old system. If you marked your own reply as an answer (even if it indeed was an answer to someone's question), then the points are no longer being awarded. So, many moderators lost points with that change.

In other words, if you are the Asker or Moderator, then you cannot mark your own response as the Answer, right?

I want to make sure this doesn't extend to proposing your response as an answer. Thanks!

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:39 PM
    Owner
  • You can and should if your answer is indeed an answer, but you will not get points for that. So, it will be better if another moderator mark the answer. But if you're a sole moderator in the forum and doing your job correctly, then as a downside of this new system you will not get points for your own correct answers that you marked.

This was discussed here recently also.

My blog
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:47 PM
  • For the person who asked the question, it does not matter as the points will not be awarded anyway. So, if you answer your own question, mark it right away - the points will not be awarded if someone else marks it either.

My blog
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:48 PM
  • BTW, here is a strange sample of a post voted 4 which should not be voted at all

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/84c70fe1-afbc-4ebe-813b-b474fbcdb3aa/#7eac203c-5632-4ad7-a288-8a81435589f9

My blog
    Friday, September 9, 2011 10:06 PM