windows live onecare auto update RRS feed

• General discussion

•          I can't seem to keep my auto update on, it keeps going to the red sheild. ive try turning it on from the windows update, and setting the auto update that they recommend. if some has an answer please help.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:39 PM

All replies

• Do you mean Windows Automatic Updates, Tim? Are you using Windows Live OneCare 2.0 beta?

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:04 PM
  • I am also having the same problem.

I am running Onecare 2.0 and occasionally when I restart my PC, Onecare starts up with a Red Icon and alerts me that Automatic Updates are currently turned off.  However, when I check my Windows Update in the control panel, it says that Automatic Updates are turned on and setup as usual.

Any idea why this is happening or a fix for it?

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:26 AM
  • I witnessed this once on one of my systems, but it hasn't happened since and I don't know the cause. I simply changed the AU settings and saved them and then changed them back to the required setting and OneCare was happy. Is that how you are addressing the issue?

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:08 PM
  • In order to get rid of the Red Icon, I just open Onecare and click the button that says Turn On Automatic Updates (The button is only visible when this issue occurs).  I have checked my Windows Update settings before taking any action and they are already configured to Auto Check/Install updates. 

This issue appears sporadicaly after restarts and I feel like it causes Vista to startup much slower.  I have seen it happen on about 3 out of 5 of my last restarts (running Vista Ultimate 32bit).

Any ideas what is causing this?

-YumYum

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:45 PM
  • No idea at all, YumYum, but I think a clue may be what you said about Vista being slower when it happens. Perhaps the warning is actually because whatever OneCare sees as the status from AU is corrupt at this point and the only way to "fix" it is the reset that you are doing and that I did as an alternative.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:59 PM