Problems in 2D/3D RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create several Vector variables representing points in 2D or 3D. The values for each variable should either be uniform over a range of values (lets say the 1-cube), or drawn from a set of values. I then want to be able to add constraints/factors of a geometric nature, for example that the L2 distance between points A and B is 5, or that the Y coordinate of A and B is the same. I have a general understanding of how to do this, but I have been unable to actually implement it. Any pointers?

Thanks, lior

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Lior

Infer.NET is not set up to solve geometric problems, so this is likely the wrong tool for you.

As regards the uniform over a range - this is not supported - for the most part Infer.NET supports only conjugate priors. However, you can put additional constraints on the random variables to lie within a certain range. I am not clear on what you mean by 'drawn from a set of values' - if you are saying a discrete distribution over real values, this is also not possible. 

As regards the geometric constraints. Having one of the coordinates the same is very easy, but having a distance constraint is difficult, and you would need to write a new distance factor.

Given the mismatch, I won't give any example code for now, unless you want to pursue this further.

John

Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:47 PM
    Owner