adding sata card RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old nvidia 6150 board in my WHS.  the HD controller is super slow and I'd like to move all my drives to a pcie sata controller.  Is moving the drives to the controller as simple as repairing the OS?  would I even need to repair?
    Monday, July 7, 2008 5:00 PM

Answers

• Are your current drives SATA? If so, installing a SATA card and connecting them to that would probably need a server re-install as the SATA ports will be changing. (I tried this as a test using a Sil3132 card and had to do a re-install).

However, personally, I would just install the card now, (in the running server,) (WHS will automatically download and install it's drivers).

I would then transfer the drives over to the new card, and then boot from the DVD and select re-install.This will retain all your backups and shared folders, but you will need to re-add your Clients, any Add-Ins you may be using, and any other customisations.

Colin

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:06 PM

All replies

• Are your current drives SATA? If so, installing a SATA card and connecting them to that would probably need a server re-install as the SATA ports will be changing. (I tried this as a test using a Sil3132 card and had to do a re-install).

However, personally, I would just install the card now, (in the running server,) (WHS will automatically download and install it's drivers).

I would then transfer the drives over to the new card, and then boot from the DVD and select re-install.This will retain all your backups and shared folders, but you will need to re-add your Clients, any Add-Ins you may be using, and any other customisations.

Colin

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:06 PM
  • I recently changed motherboard (different chipset) without needing to reinstall WHS.  I think if you are running the SATA in IDE mode there is more chance it'll work.  Install the card first so windows has the drivers than change over the drives and see if it works.  Remember to change boot order in the BIOS.  The worst heppens you'll need to do a server reinstall as colin suggested, which isn;t too bad.  I personally don't like it as i'm too lazy to reinstall PHP, mysql etc again.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:52 PM