Large File playback RRS feed

• Question

• There is another thread that discusses media center integration. Not sure if this post should be there or not. So starting a new post. My question is what does one have to tweak to allow good playback of large files. Specifically I have MKV files that are between 20 and 40 gigs in size. I have HTPC running dual core core2duo cpu, 100 full duplex network. The file plays back, but you can tell that there are little pauses. My whole purpose with going to vail is to get away from using a nas device (which currently mine will not do over 10mb sec transfer rate).

I figured I would go with vail, use it's shares and basically play my files just as I did with my nas. But the performance is a bit worse then my nas. The nas has horrible transfere rate like i mentioned above. I expected that the transfer rate to be a least douple that if not more from a vail server to my HTPC box.

Are there any settings I should be checking?

thanks

Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:06 PM

All replies

• Perhaps you could copy the Video to your HTPC. If then it plays without problems you could think about upgrading your network switch to Gigabit. But first check wether your HTPC is capable for it. I just switched to Gigabit and for me it solved my stuttering.

Greets

Morgot

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:12 AM
  • My nas plays fine over the same network and it has a limit of 10 mb a second. I have the server on 100 full. But I will try a gig and see what happens. My switch has 2 gig ports on it.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 1:08 AM
  • Ok using the giga-bit ports seemed to help a little. But what really helped is enabling jumbo packets. Does anyone have detail on what the optimal network settings are for Vail

And along with that what is the best file type/codec for video files that vail supports? More specifically for media streaming over the internet. I know that MKV files do not work. I have some raw AVI files of some of my DV home camcorder tapes that do not work. When I compress the files what should I be using and what container - for example mpg, avi, mk4, wmv? what codec h.264?

Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Best will be wmv. I assume you're using the Silverlight player, so any other video and audio codec Silverlight supports natively will also be fine. If it's not supported natively, your server must transcode it for playback, which is likely to result in, umm, I think the technical term is "crappy" video playback. :)

There are a couple of other threads about video playback and which formats don't need to be transcoded. Do some searches; I'm feeling lazy (and need to make dinner).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:43 PM