none
MS Money 2005 - Entering 2016 Transactions RRS feed

• Question

• HELP - I have entered recurring transactions for 2016 onto my UK English MS Money 2005 (Version 14.0.120.1105) running on a Dell XPS 8700 (Intel Core i7) PC running Windows 10, they appear to be accepted but do not show on my Account Register, however they alter all the balances on the account but not at the correct date points. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards Clive

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Clive

I run this combo also. Do you mean you have set up these transactions as 'Bills' to occur in the future on a recurring basis e.g. Council Tax monthly, or you have already entered them in the relevant account prior to their actual occurrence? The latter gets you an award for 'extreme budgeting' btw!

Dr AS

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Hi Dr AS

I have set up recurring transactions as monthly bills and pay/post them into my account register towards the end of the preceding month. My way of budgeting for the next month or more.

Following your post I tested a one off transaction for the 1st January 2016. I managed to enter it ok but it does not show in the account register, although you can find it if you run a search transaction on the value (not by text search). It does however affect the account balance at a point in the past, so makes reconciliation impossible.

I would be interested to hear if you have the same issue.

Regards Clive

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 12:43 PM
  • I attempted to re-create your situ. First, I went into 'Bills', which contains a list of my upcoming bills and deposits. I selected 'New' and created a new dummy transaction called - um - 'Dummy' (classed as 'Charity') of £1 due 16/1/16 and every month thereafter coming from my current account. I then right-clicked it and endorsed the bold 'Enter in Register' option. Returning to my current account it had indeed been entered on 16/1/16, and the 'next' date changed to February.

This is probably only moderately helpful but at least we know the prob is specific rather than a Windows 10 glitch. 2 things to check if you have not already - first have you got the debit coming from the right account, and second are the date and money formats (for the machine, not MS Money) set to UK settings. That can sometimes mess things up.

Good luck!

Dr AS

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Hi Dr AS

I have run Money 2005 UK on my other Windows 10 machines (Dell Studio 17 and a Surface Pro 4) and got exactly the same results. However, I suspect the problem may lie with my Money database, it originally came from Money 2000 and has been so far been used without any problems on Money 2005 UK.

As a test I have used one of my other machines to recreate a new Money database from scratch and have re-entered some of my recurring transactions starting December 2015, these appear to have been registered correctly for 2015 and 2016 and has so far created the correct balances. I may also change some of my account transfers as these seem to work slightly differently in Money 2005.

It will obviously take some time to re-enter all my recurring transactions but hopefully it will be worth it.

Regards Clive

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 10:41 PM
  • Have you tried to make a repaired version of the file with a level 2 standard file repair?
    Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Have tried a level 2 standard file repair without success. Creating a new database has resolved the problem, however it would have been nice to discover what the cause was.

Regards Clive

Sunday, December 27, 2015 11:45 AM
  • You could Export transactions from the old misbehaving file to the new file.

You also could have made your new file with Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. That would give you some improvements. One of those is a Remove-All-Bills function, which might fix a bills-related problem in a way less drastic than creating a new file. You would also have an improved backup scheme.

Monday, December 28, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Can you use the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset version on UK files?

The supporting documentation on the Microsoft download site implies it is only for US files?

Monday, January 4, 2016 11:56 PM
  • Can you use the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset version on UK files?

The supporting documentation on the Microsoft download site implies it is only for US files?

No.

Money Plus can only make sense of North American files, or it can create new files. It would also be possible to do a QIF export from Money 2005 UK, and Import into Money Plus. You lose a lot in the process, but you end up with a very clean file.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 1:44 AM