Getting Started with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - Getting started with my new Acer WHS, which came out of the box with PP1 installed.  I am trying to get the server to update software by going into the Console > Settings > General, but I keep getting an error that says "Windows Home Server updates installation can not complete. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please restart the server."

So, I logged into my homeserver using (the unsupported) RDC.  I tried using the browser to go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, however, the browser cannot get out to anything tied to microsoft.com.  I can get to google.com, but I can't even ping www.microsoft.com.  It's odd and I assume related problem to not being able to update software.

I am betting it's an IE permissions problem, but I am surprised this was configured this way from Acer.  Also, I can't figure out what the problem actually is.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Regan
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Regan,
    this is nothing usual. Eventually your server or your router have been infected with certain malware, which redirects all calls to microsoft.com to somewhere else or blocks them at all. Verify also, if the system time, date and time zone of your home server match the reality.
    Between pinging www.microsoft.com may not work, since a response seems to be blocked from server side (maybe to avoid certain DoS attacks).
    Can you post the output of ipconfig /all, issued in a command prompt window on your server?
    Would be also interesting, what you get delivered by entering
    nslookup www.update.microsoft.com.
    Will a IP address be listed?
    Can you open Internet Explorer and enter the IP address in the address bar?
    Does it connect then? If so, you have a name resolution issue, which can be caused by an altered hosts file on the server (usually done by malware) or some router/DNS server issues (but those normally should affect also the clients (given they have not an altered hosts file as well).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by Z-Ice Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Regan,
    this is nothing usual. Eventually your server or your router have been infected with certain malware, which redirects all calls to microsoft.com to somewhere else or blocks them at all. Verify also, if the system time, date and time zone of your home server match the reality.
    Between pinging www.microsoft.com may not work, since a response seems to be blocked from server side (maybe to avoid certain DoS attacks).
    Can you post the output of ipconfig /all, issued in a command prompt window on your server?
    Would be also interesting, what you get delivered by entering
    nslookup www.update.microsoft.com.
    Will a IP address be listed?
    Can you open Internet Explorer and enter the IP address in the address bar?
    Does it connect then? If so, you have a name resolution issue, which can be caused by an altered hosts file on the server (usually done by malware) or some router/DNS server issues (but those normally should affect also the clients (given they have not an altered hosts file as well).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by Z-Ice Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Olaf -  sorry this reply has taken a while.  I went ahead and restored to factory defaults on my WHS.  After I did this, I logged onto the server immediately and updated the software to the newest Power Packs and made sure that Macafee is running.  Everything is running as expected  and I am very pleased with my Acer WHS. 

The first time around (pre-factory reset) I must have gotten some malware even though I didn't feel like I was up long enough or surfed anywhere that could have gotten me in trouble. This is really surprising to me, but a good lesson learned I guess.

Thanks for your help!  Now it's time to add a few drives and see how it goes.

Best regards from California!

Regan

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:36 PM
  • ... or surfed anywhere that could have gotten me in trouble. ...

This is one reason why using Windows Home Server as a desktop OS is unsupported. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:22 PM