Antivirus health notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this has been asked/answered previously - searched the forums & couldn't find anything.

I recently did an install of the Windows 7 (x64) beta on one of my machines.  I installed the WHS connector software successfully and completed a successful initial backup of W7 install.  I understandably got health notifications because I had not yet installed anti-virus software.

After I while I elected to revert back to Vista.  I kept the backup of the Windows 7 install, but selected backups off from the Server console.

My problem is that I continue to get red health notifications (both the front panel light on my EX470 and each client (both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista)) each time the server reboots.  Having had three power failures in the last two weeks, I've seen this problem a few times now.

I can tell the server to ignore the problem via the console and all my indications will return to normal until the next time the server restarts when the health notification will reappear.

Shouldn't the "ignore this problem" instruction carry over through a reboot?

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    this may be a timing issue - some modules are responding earlier and giving alerts, while the control behavior is still not fully loaded (is it still there, if the console is loaded, or is it unignored?). Not fully clear to me, what is the alert about - antivirus on one or more of the clients? Is the ignore checkbox in the console unchecked after reboot?

Also, if the server reboots, the icon normally should turn grey. My ignored antivirus notifications stay ignored also after a reboot (my AV program is not detected properly by the Vista security center ...)

Last but least you can disable network warnings by right clicking the tray icon and selecting the appropriate menu. (You should leave it on on at least one administrative workstation, but I am sure, that the rest of the family usually is not that interested in the alerts.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    NSTim said:

I can fix the problem by selecting "Ignore this problem" via the server console, but this only lasts until the next reboot/restart of the server.
    I know I can disable the notifications, but I thought the "Ignore" is supposed to persist (and this is what happened when I had to ignore other problems in the past).

you are right, the ignore status for the antivirus notification should survive also a reboot. (At least it does so here.)
    Did it always have the problem, or did this start recently, after one of the last updates for Windows Home Server?
    If this is the case, it might be worth to try uninstalling the last update (KB957825) and see, if the problem is gone.

Another (unsupported and untested attempt would be, to delete the values within the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Notification\1.0\Suppressions on the server (or check at least, if a value like Clientname-antivirus is there at all).

Take also a look to the server event log.

Other than that, if nobody has an idea, would be nice, if you could submit a bug report at Connect, as explained in the top thread in this forum.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    this may be a timing issue - some modules are responding earlier and giving alerts, while the control behavior is still not fully loaded (is it still there, if the console is loaded, or is it unignored?). Not fully clear to me, what is the alert about - antivirus on one or more of the clients? Is the ignore checkbox in the console unchecked after reboot?

Also, if the server reboots, the icon normally should turn grey. My ignored antivirus notifications stay ignored also after a reboot (my AV program is not detected properly by the Vista security center ...)

Last but least you can disable network warnings by right clicking the tray icon and selecting the appropriate menu. (You should leave it on on at least one administrative workstation, but I am sure, that the rest of the family usually is not that interested in the alerts.

Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the reply...

The problem is a health notification for lack of antivirus software that keeps re-appearing whenever the server is rebooted.  When I switch the server back on (after a power outage, for instance), it will reboot normally & once the connector software on the client re-establishes communication with the server, the system tray icon will turn red (and corresponds with a red health indicator on the front of the server itself).

I can fix the problem by selecting "Ignore this problem" via the server console, but this only lasts until the next reboot/restart of the server.

I know I can disable the notifications, but I thought the "Ignore" is supposed to persist (and this is what happened when I had to ignore other problems in the past).

Thanks again,

Tim
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:29 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    NSTim said:

you are right, the ignore status for the antivirus notification should survive also a reboot. (At least it does so here.)
    Did it always have the problem, or did this start recently, after one of the last updates for Windows Home Server?
    If this is the case, it might be worth to try uninstalling the last update (KB957825) and see, if the problem is gone.

Another (unsupported and untested attempt would be, to delete the values within the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Notification\1.0\Suppressions on the server (or check at least, if a value like Clientname-antivirus is there at all).

Take also a look to the server event log.

Other than that, if nobody has an idea, would be nice, if you could submit a bug report at Connect, as explained in the top thread in this forum.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks again for the help.  I looked at the event viewer & couldn't see anything out of the ordinary (to my eyes).  Under the registry key you specified I have "WINDOWS7-antivirus".  This value survives a reboot, but the health notification still comes up as critical.

One key above Suppressions in the registry is a key titled "whs.clienthealth.{GUID}".  This has a sub-key under it titled WINDOWS7-antivirus and another key below that titled "0".  Under that key is a reg-binary value which, when I look at the ascii values, includes the text of the antivirus warning "Antivirus software is either not installed or is out of date on WINDOWS7".

I have to admit I'm baffled on this.  Not a big problem, but an annoyance.  I'll file a report under Connect.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:54 PM
  • I have this same problem.  My sister needed me to do some work on her laptop.  While I had her machine at my house I backed it up on my WHS in the event of her having future issues.  Although her machine hasn't been on my network for months now, after every reboot of my WHS I get a notification that my network health is critical because her anti-virus is out of date.  Every reboot I click ignore and it changes my network status to healthy but reverts back after reboot.  Her laptop runs Vista.  Any suggestions?
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 2:12 AM
  • I have this same problem.  My sister needed me to do some work on her laptop.  While I had her machine at my house I backed it up on my WHS in the event of her having future issues.  Although her machine hasn't been on my network for months now, after every reboot of my WHS I get a notification that my network health is critical because her anti-virus is out of date.  Every reboot I click ignore and it changes my network status to healthy but reverts back after reboot.  Her laptop runs Vista.  Any suggestions?
    BTW...I checked the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Notification\1.0\Suppressions and it shows the entry there for her machine (it is the first entry under "default")
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 2:17 AM