cable modem to router to router to pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have my Belkin Wireless router between my pc and my Motorola 2442 VOIP router.

Would I forward the WHS ports for my PC on the Motorola router since it is the first behind my cable modem or would I forward the ports from router to router?
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 9:12 PM

Answers

• You need to forward the ports from your Belkin router to your server.

You alse need to forward the ports to your Belkin router from your Motorola router or you can place the Belkin router in the DMZ of the Motorola router.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 8:01 PM

All replies

• Both... first the Motorola fwds to the Belkin which then fwds to your PC, if it's setup right. Wink

Good luck...

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 9:24 PM
  •  oldguy1 wrote:
    I have my Belkin Wireless router between my pc and my Motorola 2442 VOIP router.

Would I forward the WHS ports for my PC on the Motorola router since it is the first behind my cable modem or would I forward the ports from router to router?

You only need to forward to the one router that handling your "gateway".

My best.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 9:59 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    oldguy1 wrote:
    I have my Belkin Wireless router between my pc and my Motorola 2442 VOIP router.

You only need to forward to the one router that handling your "gateway".

My best.

If he fwds from the Motorola without fwding from the Belkin, the Belkin wouldn't know what to do with the incoming packet, and vice-versa. It really depends on how the routers are setup.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 10:05 PM
  • In order for me to get my remote access to function I had to forward my DSL modem to my router and my router to the server. My isp updates my ip address everyday but it looks like Livenode is updating the info.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 3:09 AM
  • You are correct. I only forwarded from my Motorola to the Belkin and it did not work.

I finally got it to work by setting DMZ in the Motorola and port forwarding in the Belkin to the PC. The Belkin has the Firewall enabled so when I ran Steve Gibson's  Firewall test, the only ports that were open was those I had forwarded.

Thanks for all the responses.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 7:40 PM
  •  oldguy1 wrote:
    You are correct. I only forwarded from my Motorola to the Belkin and it did not work.

I finally got it to work by setting DMZ in the Motorola and port forwarding in the Belkin to the PC. The Belkin has the Firewall enabled so when I ran Steve Gibson's Firewall test, the only ports that were open was those I had forwarded.

Thanks for all the responses.

That good to hear, sure different network setup, need different rules apply.

Can you please mark SME as the "was this post helpful", so if user looking for similar answer for his problem, can find the correct answer. After all, this forum is what is all about, helping each others.

My best.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 7:56 PM
  • You need to forward the ports from your Belkin router to your server.

You alse need to forward the ports to your Belkin router from your Motorola router or you can place the Belkin router in the DMZ of the Motorola router.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 8:01 PM
  • Thanks, I already did just that. It works.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 1:22 AM