none
Lost 75 point at one month. Whats happening? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft TechNet Team,

Since last 30 days, I earnd 2 x 5 points, but I lose almost every day 5 or 10 points.
    Every day, a negative score is inexplicable to me.
    Half december I had 172 points, yesterday I'v got 117 points, today I'm back on 102 points
    Is there an explenation?

Kind regards,
    Andreas

May the source be with you!
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:51 AM

Answers

• I think I have to stop rating blogs.
    Since about one month ago I rated 18 or 19 blogs.

18 x 5 points = 90 points.

Yesterday, I rated three blogs, I lost 3 x 5 points.

This morning I have already given a score on a blog.
    So I think today I lose again 5 points.
    We'll see.

Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:55 AM

All replies

• In addition to asking here I suggest to send email to fissues at microsoft dot com (Although you may not get a reply).

This doesn't seem to have an explanation. Can you check in the meantime that all your 7 answer threads are there and they were not merged or deleted?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Naomi,

My 7 answers have not been removed.

I've already send my question through Site Feedback.
    And 2 times an email to TechNet support through Contact Us below this site.
    But they always refer to the FAQ.

I send an email to fissues.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:46 PM
  • I lost another 5 points.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:15 AM
  • This doesn't have a logical explanation as you don't have Gallery contributions.

:(

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:17 PM
  • Just lost again 10 points. It's crazy.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Unfortunately, the only advice I can give you is to keep sending emails to fissues at microsoft dot com. If you get any response from that email address, please share it. Looks like a few users are affected.

I have an opposite problem. Sometimes my numbers will increase without any related activity recorded. I suspect it has something to do with the Wiki Articles. Also, I keep getting points for the Wiki articles I edited which seem to be bigger than I am supposed to get for edits. I haven't verified lately if the original author gets points in this case but in few prior cases I saw that the author didn't get any related activity.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:51 PM
  • I think I have to stop rating blogs.
    Since about one month ago I rated 18 or 19 blogs.

18 x 5 points = 90 points.

Yesterday, I rated three blogs, I lost 3 x 5 points.

This morning I have already given a score on a blog.
    So I think today I lose again 5 points.
    We'll see.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Interesting! Are you giving bad rates? Could it be that if you gave a bad rate to a blog, then by mistake you lose points instead of the original author?

BTW, I was also rating blogs (gave 5 stars) and I think I also noticed some points lost but I was thinking it was because one of my blogs received bad marks.

I will try your theory now (mark one blog with 5 stars and see if I lose anything).

UPDATE. I just rated two blogs and I don't see this in my Activity at all. I also do not seem to lose any points.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Well, I see I lost 10 points. I am not sure where this loss came from. I did rate two blogs today but it was in the morning and the 10 points disappeared just recently.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:30 AM
  • Actually, I just re-checked my activity and I see that these two rates appeared now. And the loss of 10 points corresponds to that.

Wow, you found a pretty bad bug!!!!!!!!

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:32 AM
  • Nice sleuthing.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, January 31, 2014 4:04 AM
  • Nice new word for me

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sleuth

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, January 31, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Interesting! Are you giving bad rates? Could it be that if you gave a bad rate to a blog, then by mistake you lose points instead of the original author?

BTW, I was also rating blogs (gave 5 stars) and I think I also noticed some points lost but I was thinking it was because one of my blogs received bad marks.

I will try your theory now (mark one blog with 5 stars and see if I lose anything).

UPDATE. I just rated two blogs and I don't see this in my Activity at all. I also do not seem to lose any points.

My blog

My TechNet articles

So Naomi's question goes out to Naomi and to Andreas... were the ratings 2 or 1? Because I believe a 1 rating is -5 for the author. And a 4 rating is -2. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#Can_I_lose_points

So that makes me wonder if those minus points are going to you (the rater) instead of the blog author (or if any rating is an automatic -5). This corresponds with the TechNet Blog platform update. Were these blogs on TechNet blogs?

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:30 PM
    Owner
  • I submitted this as a bug request. Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:31 PM
    Owner
  • Well, that was my question to Andrew. I voted both blogs in TechNet Ninja with 5 stars. Several hours later I found I lost 10 points and at the same time these two ratings appear in my activity.

So, it doesn't look like the kind of rating matters.

Although I guess for experiment we may want to rate a blog with bad mark and see if the points decrease or increase.

However, I don't want to participate in this experiment myself. 

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:35 PM
  • Hello Naomi and Ed,

I give 5 starts ratings on TechNet Blogs.
    I've never given a 1 or 2 star rating.

My theory is just a train of thought to determine the cause.

Not yet received a reply from fissues on my e-mails.

Thanks for the help and research

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:57 PM
  • CASE OF THE MISSING POINTS

Hi Andreas,

I can tell that you really care about how you show up in your points.  This is my first post because I never participate.  Then I saw your threat which touched me.  If it were up to me I would give fixed points just because.  I think that it is a good thing, but, you don't want seem to trying too hard.  This is a game that is monitored both by community members and by Microsoft Technical Support Team.  To be driven to achieve points for the sake of the point can be harmful to your point health.  From the link you posted later in the threat, I dissected it below.  It shows that playing this point game for the point and not for the quality or the powerful delivery of a real problem someone is having somewhere can cost you in a big way.

Microsoft seems to have developed a built in quality control system applied to each user where each of us are rewarded or penalized according to the quality, the uniqueness of the solution to the problem of another.  ie. Like the problem you have posted here, I was moved touched and inspired to take a deeper look inside something that I never knew that took place.  I am glad that I did.  I have dissected the way you lose points and I hope that you consider your problem answered and solved...In any case, its of no concern to me because this is my private time contributed to doing this post.  (ie. It took me about 60 mins to complete this post)

Application Activities Pts Taken/Earned

1. Forums

1. If you make a forum post to a problem that is (owner-reviewed and marked), or/and the “community” (ie. those responsible for QA)

1. You submit as an answer

1. and was removed by community

1. in an 8 hour period -15

2. in general -10

2. removed by the owner

1. in less than 8 hrs by original poster -20

2. Wikis ---  No Points are changed from blog posts

3. Blogs ---  No Points are changed from blog posts

1. Your blog post receives:

1. 2 STARS -2

2. 1 STAR -5

4. Galleries

1. Your contribution receives:

1. 2 STARS -2

2. 1 STAR -5

5. Translation Wikis

1. If your proposed translation was reported to Microsoft as:

1. BAD            -3

2. SPAM -10  

In conclusion, consider posting an being involved when it benefits you too and forget about the point system.  If you do this, I bet your points will shoot sky high. 

"Those who care the most, loses"

Debbie Willis

Deborah Willis-PhD

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:33 AM