"You will be Charged on your renewal date." ??? What??? RRS feed

• Question

• Following your response to my previous post asking how to activate my newly purchased OneCare from Costco, I was able to enter the new PIN and reactivate OneCare.  The closing message box said that I would then be "charged" on my expiration date (which hasn't arrived yet).  Since I purchased vesion 2.0 from Costco, what am I going to be charged for???  Is this just an unfortunantly worded end of process message box?  I don't believe I should owe anything more since I already paid in the store!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 7:35 PM

Answers

• Yes, that sounds like bad wording on the activation confirmation page. It actually sounds like there is one confirmation page and it is written as if you are renewing with a credit card - hence the note that you will be charged on the renewal date. Using a prepaid key/token/PIN will extend the subscription for another 12 months from the original expiration and does not result in any other charges.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:48 PM

All replies

• I could not access your earlier post. I also purchased a new copy from Costco and my current installed version expires in about a week. So rather than renew online, I would like to install Costco's copy on my PCs. I would be interested in the procedure you went through and also the final resolution of your issue with the renewal fee. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 7:50 PM
  • I was sent the following directions:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you used the same LiveID to activate your subscription, it will reflect your old expiration date. Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with that LiveID. Select the OneCare subscription and click Renew. Select the option to renew with a PIN, which is the new retail key. It can take up to 24 hours for OneCare to reflect the updated subscription status."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The message went on to say that it weas unnecessary to uninstall the existing copy, but that I could merely enter the new PIN.  I had some odd "can't update" problem with the previous version so I uninstalled it anyway.  I installed my new copy and followed the directions above by clicking the link provided and that generated the new "LiveID" (which apparently doesn't happen if you come directly out of your existing software to reach the same place on the web) and the installation went normally.  I believe that the "renewal fee" issue is a poorly worded end-of-process message box since I don't believe that I have ever given microsoft any credit card info (but I frankly cannot remember if I have or not).  Either way, I paid Costco for the AV.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:16 PM
  • OneCare is actually a subscription based service. What you buy in the store is not a standalone product, but actually CD-based access to the service. Your in-store purchase price covers a one-year subscription. This is the same for any commercial AV/performance monitoring product (e.g., Norton LiveUpdate requires a renewal fee every year, too). Because OC updates automatically and delivers both updates and major version upgrades automatically, you are provided continous protection. You are charged once a year for continued use of the service. Please note that I am not a Microsoft employee, I am a user who has gone through 2 renewal cycles since 2005.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Yes, that sounds like bad wording on the activation confirmation page. It actually sounds like there is one confirmation page and it is written as if you are renewing with a credit card - hence the note that you will be charged on the renewal date. Using a prepaid key/token/PIN will extend the subscription for another 12 months from the original expiration and does not result in any other charges.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:48 PM