moving itunes to external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Sony Vaio that runs Windows XP Home Edition.  I recently bought a Western Digital external drive specifically to store my itunes library.  Not surprisingly, I can't move the files over.

I've found the directions on moving the itunes ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748 )  The problem is that they don't work.

When I go into my itunes Advanced Preferences, I can see the pathway where my files are currently stored on the C drive.  However, when I click "Change" I don't get any options for changing the path.  A new box opens, but instead of having my folders it's completely empty.  I can't type anything and there's nothing to choose from.

I called Apple.  They charged me $29 and checked my computer.  After 90 minutes and two transfers, I was told an engineer would call me within a next week.  That was 3 weeks ago.  I've since received a voicemail telling me that the problem is in my operating system, therefore Apple can't help me (or refund my service charge.)  So, now I'm out $29, the cost of this external drive, and my music is still on my C drive.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Oh and I know the external drive works.  I did move some photos on it to be sure.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:18 PM