WLW Duplicates Images on each Publish with WP 2.8

• Every time I hit the publish button to update a blog post, WordPress is sent the same images again with the same names and is duplicating them in the media admin area.  This is a large waste of space, and will quickly make many sites run out of space.

It should know that this is an existing post and only update the changes, and especially if the images haven't changed don't re-upload them.

Anyone know if I am doing something wrong with WLW that is causing this, or if there is a setting I can change to prevent this?
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• Do you know if the image url are actually changing, we should be smart enough to know not to reupload the image.  Though, it is always possible there is a bug.
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:28 PM
  • I am not changing anything related to an image. I open an existing post edit some text and then click publish. I went and looked on the servers upload directory and with each publish the same file is getting uploaded with a slightly modified file name. So either Live Writer is doing it or the XML-RPC API is doing it. I am starting with the live product since it is the interface I am using.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Same here. Its doing the same thing to my Picasa web albums since I use Blogger. Looks like we'll have to see what the real image is and delete the duplicate. WLW does that to include the effects with the image. But I don't see why it needs to upload the original too.

It must be a bug of some sort or a decision they took for the sake of a fast implementation cycle. Anyway, in a previous post a MS person has noted the issue and he has stated that it will be corrected. I do not know when or in what version.

For this time being, I recommend that you manually upload the images and then inset them to the writer. Saying that, its not an easy task. The manual insertion of the image to the WLW is a headache. I'd recommend using the Flock Browser's Blog writer if you can.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Hi tdevina,

Sorry you are having the same issue, and its good to know that Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on it.

What I did to work around the issue at this time is I only use WLW to post the initial blog entry, if I have to modify it for any reason I use the Word Press web based tool for now.  It's not like I have to modify blog entries very often, and actually only really need to do it once in a great while (which may be how most people use it and why it hasn't been found for a while).  I was just doing some testing with Word Press and trying out different things, and I was using test posts and noticed this issue piling up some times 20 or 30 duplicate images.

I hope to see the fix the next update!!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:38 PM