Problem with beat ticker/voice (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• songsmithnewby posted on 01-26-2009 4:51 PM

Hi,

Synopsis:

I bought me Songsmith and rehearsed a bit. 

When I was playing back the result I heard that my voice was low compared to the music.

So I tried to adjust the gain of the microphone under Options, Microphone Configuration. However it's the only slider I cannot move!!! (it's frozen)

I've turned up the Windows system volume to the maximum and also that of my Realtek audiocard (which uses the underlying system volume).

However still my voice is low compared to the music.

So  I thought to be smart and saved voice and music seperately as two files. I liked to amplify the voicepart with audio software.

But to my sad surprise the beat ticker (which you also hear in the intro parts) was included in the voice file!!! Why??????? It doesn't make sense to include loud beats in a voice!......a Songsmith bug?

Questions:

1. How can I get a PURE voice file? (so without beat ticks)

2. How can I make the gain slider move? Realtek is a very advanced audio card, so should be able to use this feature........

Would be cool if you could help me......seems to be a very useful tool, Songsmith! Thx in advance for your answers........

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:26 PM

Answers

• songsmithnewby replied on 01-27-2009 4:04 PM

thanks for your fast reply.

dmorris:
    The "beat ticks" should not be included in the voice file; is it possible that they were actually recorded through your microphone while you were singing?  Did you try recording while listening to headphones instead of speakers?

Well, that's almost impossible, since the speakers are far away from the microphone.

I understand why you propose headphones, but in this case we can exclude it.

dmorris:
    Also, is it at all possible that Songsmith is actually using a microphone other than the one you're singing into?  For example, do you have a built-in microphone or a WebCam that might be recording your voice?  If you go to the "microphone configuration" dialog in Songsmith, it will tell you which device is being used for recording.

No, I don't have a built-in microphone, nor do I have a webcam (as one of the very few people in this world )

So only Realtek is active, as is stated also under Microphone Configuration.

dmorris:
    The gain slider in Songsmith is available whenever the sound card reports a "microphone gain control" to Windows applications.  Some sound cards, unfortunatley, don't do this, so I would look in your control panel to see whether there's another way to adjust the mic input gain.  Conveniently, I have a RealTek sound device myself, and indeed, there's no microphone gain, because it looks like the RealTek driver combines all recording volumes into a single "recording gain" that Songsmith doesn't see.  So on my XP machine, I can adjust this by going to start-->programs-->accessories-->entertainment-->volume control, then going to options-->properties-->recording, and clicking "OK".  Now in the little volume control app I see a single "recording volume" that I can change.

Since I have been visual basic developer, I understand what you mean with microphone gain control. I already also tried the volume setting in control panel as you suggest. Without result.

So it seems that putting the back band to a very low level works "fine" (with respect to the voice.....and the beat ticks are very low too)......but it makes recording very difficult, since you almost can't hear the music.

Thanks for your thoughts! And if you should have another solution just let me know, please......

All replies

• brione replied on 01-26-2009 8:48 PM

• dmorris replied on 01-26-2009 9:56 PM

Thanks for your questions...

The "beat ticks" should not be included in the voice file; is it possible that they were actually recorded through your microphone while you were singing?  Did you try recording while listening to headphones instead of speakers?

Also, is it at all possible that Songsmith is actually using a microphone other than the one you're singing into?  For example, do you have a built-in microphone or a WebCam that might be recording your voice?  If you go to the "microphone configuration" dialog in Songsmith, it will tell you which device is being used for recording.

The gain slider in Songsmith is available whenever the sound card reports a "microphone gain control" to Windows applications.  Some sound cards, unfortunatley, don't do this, so I would look in your control panel to see whether there's another way to adjust the mic input gain.  Conveniently, I have a RealTek sound device myself, and indeed, there's no microphone gain, because it looks like the RealTek driver combines all recording volumes into a single "recording gain" that Songsmith doesn't see.  So on my XP machine, I can adjust this by going to start-->programs-->accessories-->entertainment-->volume control, then going to options-->properties-->recording, and clicking "OK".  Now in the little volume control app I see a single "recording volume" that I can change.

Hope that helps!

-Dan

• songsmithnewby replied on 01-27-2009 3:22 PM

brione:
    2. How can I make the gain slider move? Realtek is a very advanced audio card, so should be able to use this feature........ I don't know, mine is maxed out and my wimpy microphone can't put out enough. So I clicked the Mixer button and changed the levels of the backup band. I suspect you can also lower them with Master Volume on the front panel too, all together.

Thanks for your suggestion.

However I already tried that (forgot to mention in my previous post, sorry). However now trying it again and putting the back band to almost a minimum level, it works fine with the voice. Loud enough with respect to the music, however now I can hardly hear the music......so it makes it a bit difficult to record.

I guess I'll have to play a little bit with the voice and back band volumes.......

• songsmithnewby replied on 01-27-2009 4:04 PM

thanks for your fast reply.

dmorris:

Well, that's almost impossible, since the speakers are far away from the microphone.

I understand why you propose headphones, but in this case we can exclude it.

dmorris:

No, I don't have a built-in microphone, nor do I have a webcam (as one of the very few people in this world )

So only Realtek is active, as is stated also under Microphone Configuration.

dmorris:

Since I have been visual basic developer, I understand what you mean with microphone gain control. I already also tried the volume setting in control panel as you suggest. Without result.

So it seems that putting the back band to a very low level works "fine" (with respect to the voice.....and the beat ticks are very low too)......but it makes recording very difficult, since you almost can't hear the music.

Thanks for your thoughts! And if you should have another solution just let me know, please......