none
Required Login for All Microsoft Support Pages?

Question

• Hello,

I recently noticed that I have to log into every support page related to Microsoft, which is a pain.  It just started happening in the past couple weeks, on sites such as Technet blogs/wikis, support.microsoft.com, and other official Windows support sites.  It says I'm viewing "sensitive information" and I need to verify my login.  More annoyingly, it doesn't remember my password - so if I'm Googling for an issue (i.e., a BSOD), every Microsoft page I visit, I have to log in.

Why is this?  And is there a special trick to remembering my password?  There's no check box to do so...

Thanks.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have noticed the same thing. I have no idea why I am prompted for credentials, especially when I am already authenticated in TechNet. Often, I can close the Window and retry and it works fine the second time. And of course, no authentication should be required to view a Knowledge Base article.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:43 PM
  • For some time now (few months) most KB links have ?wa=wsignin1.0 appended to URL and yes usually single sign on seems to pass creds through. I haven't paid enough attention, it may only be KBs that present some content for download.

wsignin1.0 Request Message

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:55 AM
  • Why is this?  And is there a special trick to remembering my password?  There's no check box to do so...

There is a service.   WLIDSVC.

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Service WLIDSVC

Status   Name               DisplayName
    ------   ----               -----------
    Stopped  WLIDSVC            Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant

Is yours disabled?   <eg>

BTW this "sensitive information" symptom was worst for me after Surface Support forced me to stop using EN-US for my Language preference.  So, after experimenting with the recommendation for a month, I put EN-US back on top and am definitely less interrupted by authentication requests here.  For a while though I was forced to stop using Microsoft Search as my preferred Search Provider.  Every new session's first search began with that annoyance.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, January 23, 2015 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for the info, Robert.  The service is running.  However, as not being a huge fan of Microsoft, I'm not using IE...  I'm using Chrome.

This is just a PITA that doesn't really make sense...  Anybody else (Microsoft employee) got any info?

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:33 PM
  • We haven't had much official word on this. See this thread for additional discussion:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/57121270-bdbf-4d56-a2f7-c31ee214ea27/forum-redirected-to-sign-in-page-problem?forum=reportabug

EDIT: Ed Price just posted in the linked thread that the existence this issue has been passed to several MSFT teams.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:57 PM
  • We haven't had much official word on this. See this thread for additional discussion:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/57121270-bdbf-4d56-a2f7-c31ee214ea27/forum-redirected-to-sign-in-page-problem?forum=reportabug

EDIT: Ed Price just posted in the linked thread that the existence this issue has been passed to several MSFT teams.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Ultimately the teams know about it, so it's just a matter of reporting it on those key pages (Site Feedback). That helps them track and pinpoint the issue (and fully understand the scope of impact).

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, February 9, 2015 8:24 PM
    Owner
  • I guess I'll start reporting pages, but I believe it is any MSDN or TechNet support page, whether library, kb, or whatever. However, only if you are already authenticated with your LiveID.

Monday, February 9, 2015 9:47 PM
  • I have reported about 10 pages. One page had no option to report, so I clicked "Contact Us" and entered information. I got an email back from this indicating that the issue has been forwarded to the engineering team. My feedback was:

When I attempt to open many Microsoft pages, I am asked to signon because it contains sensitive information.

1. I am already authenticated with my LiveID.
    2. The information is NOT sensitive.
    3. I can always close the page, try again, and the page opens.
    4. This never happens (the prompt to signon) if I am NOT authenticated.
    5. I refuse to enter my password, and I never do.
    6. This behavior can happen when opening any Microsoft support page: MSDN, TechNet, kb, library.
    7. This happens if I click a hyperlink, enter a url in my browser, or click on search results.
    8. It does not happen every time I open a page.
    9. This has only happened in the last 2 or 3 months.
    10. It is very annoying.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Richard, that's a great summarization. I wouldn't change a thing.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:29 PM
  • 7. This happens if I click a hyperlink, enter a url in my browser, or click on search results.

Workaround then:  right-click Copy Shortcut and then open it in a new tab.   E.g. Ctrl-t Ctrl-v

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:11 PM
  • I tried right-click and selected "open in new tab". That seems to work so far.

No wait, I was not authenticated. I had started a new instance of IE and had not clicked sign in.

Started over, clicked sign in (which happens automatically, never need to enter my password, except the first time after a restart), then right clicked a link and selected "Open in new tab". The new tab asks me to sign in because I am accessing sensitive information.

If I right click and select "Copy shortcut", then File, New tab (Ctrl-t), Ctrl-v, I still get the sign in screen. But only the first time after starting the instance of IE and only if I am authenticated.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:51 PM
  • If I right click and select "Copy shortcut", then File, New tab (Ctrl-t), Ctrl-v, I still get the sign in screen. But only the first time after starting the instance of IE and only if I am authenticated.

I don't think I have seen that.  What I do see occasionally is the page has a sign-in button, perhaps indicating that it was opened anonymously.  I think that's good, especially if I am giving links to the public.  But then if I want to use that page's Sign-in button it seems to be hit or miss about whether I actually have to sign-in again.  So, does that indicate that MS considers the page not to be available for the general public after all? Perhaps we get extra links or something after the authentication? Who knows?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 14, 2015 2:20 PM
  • When I see the sign-in button, it means I have not authenticated, at least in this instance of my browser. I click the button and my name appears. I almost never need to enter my password, except perhaps just after signing out and restarting. If I see my name and the sign-out button, I know I am authenticated.

Saturday, February 14, 2015 4:22 PM
  •  almost never need to enter my password, except perhaps just after signing out and restarting.

That's how it should work but doesn't always.  Actually in my case I will now say "didn't always" because for various reasons I have just done a RIES and so far have seen far fewer issues of all kinds.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 14, 2015 5:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chad Quinlan Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:48 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 7:21 PM