none
Restoring XP to a completely different PC RRS feed

• General discussion

• I thought I'd share with you my experience of restoring off my last backup from an old P4 socket 486 MB to a spanking new build on socket 775 with a Core 2 Quad set up with onboard ICH10R raid, PCI-e x 16 graphics card  etc etc.

Before I backed up my old PC for the last time, I uninstalled the Nvidia software and drivers for the Graphics card and manually uninstalled the Display Card in the System Settings/Hardware.  Then I did the backup.

Knowing how WHS loves drivers, I made up some floppys with the Intel Storage Matrix drivers on (iaStor.sys), and after an initial problem on restore, some research in here showed I needed the Vista drivers, not XP, for the Lan chip on the Gigabyte MB (GA-EP45-UDR3).  I saved that to a USB stick.  

I booted my new PC off the Restore CD and when prompted for drivers I put in the floppy and then attached the USB stick.  Voila!  Then to Disk Management do partition the Raid 0 drive into my normal drives.  The restore from the WHS server went fine.  No problems.

So I then used my XP CD to boot off and aimed for an install then the Repair option (not the Repair on the first menu), and I used the floppy again with the Raid drivers so XP could see the disk.  You need your original Product Key for the OS.  The repair went fine so this meant all my programs were in tact together with all the registry entries for them.

I then hit upon a snag: the PC would freeze on the log in screen, but would boot in Safe mode.  So to me it looked like a driver issue.  Although I had removed the Nnvidia drivers, Safe Mode boot showed that the service AGP440.sys was still being loaded.  So a quick google and I had to boot off the CD, Repair console, and Listsvc and then disable AGP440. 
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

XP then booted up fine.   I then just ran updates on drivers and installed MB and graphics card specific programs.

Success!!  I just could not be faced with having to reinstall all my software and find all the settings for my APACHE server, Coldfusion, Mysql, etc etc.

So, provided you're comfortable with a repair type install, restoring from WHS to a completely new PC is possible if you want to retain all your installed programs and settings.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:05 PM

All replies

• I thought I'd share with you my experience of restoring off my last backup from an old P4 socket 486 MB to a spanking new build on socket 775 with a Core 2 Quad set up with onboard ICH10R raid, PCI-e x 16 graphics card  etc etc.

Before I backed up my old PC for the last time, I uninstalled the Nvidia software and drivers for the Graphics card and manually uninstalled the Display Card in the System Settings/Hardware.  Then I did the backup.

Knowing how WHS loves drivers, I made up some floppys with the Intel Storage Matrix drivers on (iaStor.sys), and after an initial problem on restore, some research in here showed I needed the Vista drivers, not XP, for the Lan chip on the Gigabyte MB (GA-EP45-UDR3).  I saved that to a USB stick.  

I booted my new PC off the Restore CD and when prompted for drivers I put in the floppy and then attached the USB stick.  Voila!  Then to Disk Management do partition the Raid 0 drive into my normal drives.  The restore from the WHS server went fine.  No problems.

So I then used my XP CD to boot off and aimed for an install then the Repair option (not the Repair on the first menu), and I used the floppy again with the Raid drivers so XP could see the disk.  You need your original Product Key for the OS.  The repair went fine so this meant all my programs were in tact together with all the registry entries for them.

I then hit upon a snag: the PC would freeze on the log in screen, but would boot in Safe mode.  So to me it looked like a driver issue.  Although I had removed the Nnvidia drivers, Safe Mode boot showed that the service AGP440.sys was still being loaded.  So a quick google and I had to boot off the CD, Repair console, and Listsvc and then disable AGP440. 
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

XP then booted up fine.   I then just ran updates on drivers and installed MB and graphics card specific programs.

Success!!  I just could not be faced with having to reinstall all my software and find all the settings for my APACHE server, Coldfusion, Mysql, etc etc.

So, provided you're comfortable with a repair type install, restoring from WHS to a completely new PC is possible if you want to retain all your installed programs and settings.

Yes, that's true.  However, the target audience of WHS (people who don't know much about computers) won't be able to do that because the majority of them purchased a pre-built computer and there is no XP/Vista disc included in PC purchases any more (everything is now "recovery discs").
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:14 PM
  • True, but for the hardened PC nut who likes to "roll his own" at all times, I thought it would be useful to share my experience!  Thanks for input.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:18 PM
  • You could also use 'ShadowProtect Desktop' (Server editions available too)  from ShadowCraft, to install basic motherboard and storage drivers to get a restore booting on new hardware.  You can even specifiy drivers. 

It boots from a CD, examines you OS and hardware and installes suitable drivers.  I've used it many, many times. 
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:42 PM