none
Missing Files From Sync. Help!!! :( RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...

I used synchtoy to backup my NAS (Windows 2003 Server). I backed up to a removable Hard Disk. Synctoy backed up more than half a terabyte of information. I have a movie collection in my server.

After Synching the files, I recreated the RAID on the server. After copying everything back from the removable hard disk, I noticed that Synctoy didn't create some folders in the New RAID.

I looked in the Removable Hard Disk, and the files where actually there, but they've been renamed.

EX: MyMovie.mkv     To      MyMovie.mkv_SyncToyBackup_20080602190517484

The file size is about right (4.2 Gigs). But then I noticed that other files that where renamed, had the exact file size.

I really hate to go to the extraction process from DVD to File again, because its very time consuming.

Is there anything I can do to restore these files? Can I just rename them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Friday, June 6, 2008 2:31 PM

Answers

• I gave up on this... I have begun to recreate my movie library... This occurence happened only on files bigger than 4 gb. Renaming them to the original name doesn't work.

These files all have been made into 4,193,792 KB files exactly.

I'll use good all XCOPY next time. Thanks
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:18 PM

All replies

• Anyone?!?!...

Does anybody have an answer or experienced something like this?

Looking forward to somebody replying.

Thanks

Monday, June 16, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Sorry to hear that you encountered this problem. You seem to be using an older version of SyncToy (maybe something before 1.4) - we have heard of similar rare issue like this but not sure how or why it happens. You said that you recreated the server RAID - you may have needed to delete and recreate the folder pair after the reconfiguration, since you deleted the data from the server side.

Can you try to rename one of the  files with the *backup* name and try playing it to ensure that it is intact. How many such files have you ended up with? I'm sorry I cannot suggest any other alternative than to fix up the data on the backup hard-disk manually, delete everything from the server side, and they try using a newer version of SyncToy (2.0 Beta available for download from the web).

Thanks

Ashish Shah

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:05 PM
    Answerer
  • I gave up on this... I have begun to recreate my movie library... This occurence happened only on files bigger than 4 gb. Renaming them to the original name doesn't work.

These files all have been made into 4,193,792 KB files exactly.

I'll use good all XCOPY next time. Thanks
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:18 PM
  •  

I've seen this problem.  Please check the format of the removeable harddrive you copied the files to.  It's almost certianly FAT32 which has a maximum file size of 4GB.  Your files are stopping at 3.9995 GB.  If you convert to NTFS, the files can be saved properly. 

The weird file names are the temporary filenames used before all the data has completed transferring.  That's a good indicator that the file is incomplete.

And, yes, I agree that this limitation should have been detected in SyncToy and the user should have been notified of the failure to completely copy the file. 

I'm pretty sure that, when I saw this happen, SyncToy did still list the truncated files in Preview.  So that would have been another clue that the file was not properly saved.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:20 PM