Dynamics CRM 2011 limited user CAL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to understand if the limited user CAL will allow the user to create an opportunity within the system. Second if a limited CAL  user creates an account  and then the ownership is transfered to another limited user CAL . Can the new owner delete the account?

Let me know if you have any references I should be looking at to find this kind of detail .The Licensing guide from May 2011 doesnt make mention of opportunities so i am a little concerned

Thanks, 

Randy 

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Tayyab,

The limited CAL will not  legally allow a user to create an opportunity within CRM . The person who responded tried to explain that it was in the MS CRM licensing Guide may 2011. i looked but could not find any kind of direct statement so in the end I went to the author of the guide for confirmation and he agreed that a limited CAL does not have the rights to create an opportunity in CRM. I didn't ask him to quote a page but he says its in the guide.

Wish I had better news, it cost me a potential big  opportunity because of the price addition for the full CAL.

Let me know if you need the licensing guide I can forward it to you so you can use it in the future.

Best regards,

Randy  

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Randy,

I am trying to figure out the same thing. Can you please share if you got a response to your question. Moreover the documentation says that a Limited CAL user cannot create custom entities so i created one but the user created a Custom Entity successfully. Any clarification on this will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Tayyab

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Hi Tayyab,

The limited CAL will not  legally allow a user to create an opportunity within CRM . The person who responded tried to explain that it was in the MS CRM licensing Guide may 2011. i looked but could not find any kind of direct statement so in the end I went to the author of the guide for confirmation and he agreed that a limited CAL does not have the rights to create an opportunity in CRM. I didn't ask him to quote a page but he says its in the guide.

Wish I had better news, it cost me a potential big  opportunity because of the price addition for the full CAL.

Let me know if you need the licensing guide I can forward it to you so you can use it in the future.

Best regards,

Randy  

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Page 10 in license guide clearly states it

- The Limited CAL provides a user with full read-only access (e.g., for reports) and limited write access to "Microsoft Dynamics CRM functionality". Users may view or query CRM data.

The use rights supported for Limited CAL include:

Data privileges to create Accounts, Contacts, Cases, Leads, and Activities using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients.

Data privileges to append, append to, and update Accounts, Contacts, Cases, Leads, and Activities created by any CRM user using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients.

Data privileges to assign, share, and delete Accounts, Contacts, Cases, Leads, and Activities created by the same user using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients.

Data privileges to follow and post activity feeds against Accounts, Contacts, Leads, Opportunities, and standard entity records created by any CRM user using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients.

Dta privileges to create custom entity records using API access only. 

Data privileges to update custom entity records created by any CRM user using API access only.

Append data privileges using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients for custom activity records created by any CRM user.

Append data privileges using API access only for custom entity records (excluding custom activity records) created by any CRM user. 

Append to data privileges using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients for custom entity records created by any CRM user. 

Data privileges to assign, share, and delete custom entity records created by the same user using API access only.

Data privileges to follow and post activity feeds against custom entity records using API access only.

No data privileges to assign, share, or delete records created by other CRM users. 

Read-only access to "Microsoft Dynamics CRM functionality".

Limited CAL

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:31 AM