WHS does not update my IP address correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS during the last 6 months and this problem only came this week.

My secondary domain from Microsoft is myhomes.homeserver.com, but the IP address I've gotten from nslookup does not match the actual IP. Currently, it's 202.156.10.220 instead of 58.182.70.44 (my actual IP). I've tried to turn off Web Site from WHS Console and turn on again, but the problem persists.

Right now, I can't access it through https://myhomes.homeserver.com, I can only access by https://58.182.70.44, but since my IP address is dynamic, it's very troublesome to remember the IP everytime.

Port forwarding from my router is correct, and past usage has shown no problem.

Is there anything that I'm missing here?

there is a genius in everyone
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:48 AM

All replies

• cloudone said:

I have been using WHS during the last 6 months and this problem only came this week.

My secondary domain from Microsoft is myhomes.homeserver.com, but the IP address I've gotten from nslookup does not match the actual IP. Currently, it's 202.156.10.220 instead of 58.182.70.44 (my actual IP). I've tried to turn off Web Site from WHS Console and turn on again, but the problem persists.

Right now, I can't access it through https://myhomes.homeserver.com, I can only access by https://58.182.70.44, but since my IP address is dynamic, it's very troublesome to remember the IP everytime.

Did you try the Unconfigure button (Settings button, Remote Access tab)?

cloudone said:

Port forwarding from my router is correct, and past usage has shown no problem.

Is there anything that I'm missing here?

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Sometimes it seems to be necessary to reconfigure the remote access settings due to some mysterious issues with Windows Live Domain services.
    As a workaround you can (if your router supports this) get an dyndns.org (or similar) account and configure this in the router. So you have a fallback option in case homeserver.com should have trouble.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:25 AM
  • Also, do not forget that DNS uses ttl values!

So any DNS server in the path from where you resolve to the DNS server hosting homeserver.com can possible show a wrong entry for the maximum amount of the ttl value.

I have no idea what the default ttl value is for the homeserver.com domain, maybe someone from the Microsoft team can tell us so we know when to rule out this as a cause to problems like these.

Cheers,

Danee
    Media Center Plug-ins: http://www.mcesoft.nl
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:00 PM
  • This is just getting more weird. I found that the IP address for myhomes.homeserver.com actually updates, but it is not my actual ip.

The updated IP is still on the 202.156.*.* network while my actual IP is still on the 58.182.*.* network. It's pretty apparent that WHS is getting the incorrect IP address, but the result from whatismyipaddress.com/
    is actually correct (using IEXPLORE on the WHS computer).

This is the first time that this is happening, thus I suspect that something could be wrong on the Microsoft side. I've tried everything previous posters suggested (thanks all), include unconfigure, reconfigure my router, getting a new *.homeserver.com domain etc.
    A screen shot of what I got from WHS can be seen here. In the mean while, NO-IP.com works wonders, and I'm using that to remote access my computer. Thanks Olaf!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
    Friday, December 12, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Hi,
    how is your network connection to the Internet? Do you work with a single DSL router or something cascaded?
    Could your ISP block or redirect something?
    Did you use the same live ID on another place to register a homeserver.com domain (i.e. for a family member) or did you sell a home server without unconfiguring?
    Do you get a home server website loaded, if you try to connect to the homeserver.com address?
    Olaf
    Friday, December 12, 2008 9:51 AM
  • I'm connecting to the Internet through a cable modem with a single router.

I realized that not only WHS detects my IP address incorrectly, but Google as well. From my Gmail activity information, IP address that is shown matches that obtained by WHS, i.e. same as what myhomes.homeserver.com points to. However, that IP is wrong.

In the mean time, whatismyipaddress.com/ and other online IP detecting sites could detect the correct IP address.

Could the problem be due to the transparent proxy that my ISP uses? But if that's the case, why does no-ip.com and dyndns work perfectly?

Information from Gmail:
    This computer is using IP address 218.186.10.242.

Information about my domain:

C:\Users\Admin>nslookup myhomes.homeserver.com
    DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    myhomes.homeserver.com
    Address:  202.156.10.242

Friday, December 12, 2008 11:22 AM
  • Hi,
    yes, a proxy server could well cause this result - that the response is the IP address of the proxy server instead of the client (in this case your router).
    A dyndns configuration in the router instead will know, what the router knows and register the IP address of it's external interface.
    Olaf
    Friday, December 12, 2008 11:35 AM