How to turn off "Firewall is off" warning RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I just installed OneCare and disabled the Firewall indefinitely (it interfers with when I'm playing games because it blocks it and since it's full screen I don't know about it).

Anyways, my question is, is there a way to disable the alert that I don't have the Firewall enabled? I really don't like seeing the red OneCare symbol down there. I already have a hardware firewall that I maintain, and would rather not have a software firewall.

Essentially, I want to be able to tell OneCare "Well, besides the firewall, how is my system?"

I'm a power user and I already control the network connections so I think it's a valid scenario for me. I did looking through some of the UI and quick help search, and there was no answer on this issue.

Thanks!

~Brian Hughes

Saturday, April 19, 2008 12:11 AM

Answers

• OneCare isn't a mix and match solution - it is designed to be a total protection solution. You can't disable the firewall without getting the red warning that you are at risk. If you feel that you must disable the firewall, you probably should use a different solution for your security needs.

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Brian, you shouldn't have to disable the firewall to play online games. If you know which ports and/or protocols your game needs to access the internet this article describes how to open ports, enable protocols etc. - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944163/en-us

Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:51 AM
  • I realize that, but I would just rather not go through the trouble since I already have a hardware firewall. I personally would rather just not run the software firewall since I have no use for it and it's a useless component that can only get in the way and not help me. If I didn't have a hardware firewall I would use it, but that's not my situation.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:34 AM
  • OneCare isn't a mix and match solution - it is designed to be a total protection solution. You can't disable the firewall without getting the red warning that you are at risk. If you feel that you must disable the firewall, you probably should use a different solution for your security needs.

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:58 PM
  •  

Thank you Steve.

Hopefully OneCare would be able to support a scenario like this in the future. When it does I will definitely give the product another try! Until then, I'll just go back to my previous tools for security and safety (Windows Defender + AVG + me Smile )

~Brian

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:40 PM
  • You're welcome and thanks for trying OneCare out.

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:49 PM