WHS Backup fails - Manual Backup Works RRS feed

• Question

• I built a new server and added the connector.  When I run a backup it fails but f I do a manual backup to a share on the WHS it works fine.

It is a VSS error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:

Gathering Writer Data

Context:

Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}

Writer Name: System Writer

Writer Instance ID: {972d9bc6-996e-4a98-88a8-d1339eba51b3}

Thanks, Glenn

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:15 AM

All replies

• I'm seeing the exact same problem.  I have tried WHS 2011 installed in both Hyper-V, and on a stand-alone server.  I've tried two seperate clients, one with Win 7 Home Premium 64, and one with Win 7 Ultimate 64.  I always see the same error as above in the event log on the client.  I've tried the "re-assoicate VSS" article with no success.

The client will report "Backup In Progress" and then sit at 1% and never move, even sitting overnight.  No errors are reported on the WHS side event log.  Both the client and the WHS report the start of the backup, and report when I finally cancel the backup.

Friday, April 8, 2011 5:18 AM
  •  I'm seeing the exact same problem.  I have tried WHS 2011 installed in both Hyper-V, and on a stand-alone server.  I've tried two seperate clients, one with Win 7 Home Premium 64, and one with Win 7 Ultimate 64.  I always see the same error as above in the event log on the client.  I've tried the "re-assoicate VSS" article with no success.

The client will report "Backup In Progress" and then sit at 1% and never move, even sitting overnight.  No errors are reported on the WHS side event log.  Both the client and the WHS report the start of the backup, and report when I finally cancel the backup.

I ended up rebuilding the Windows 7 client (x64) that I was having problems with and now the backup works.  It gets me that after I rebuilt my WHS to the RC version that I could no longer backup the client.  I uninstalled the connector and rebooted before I installed the new connector. 

It makes me wonder if I will have the same problems if I go the retail version.

Glenn

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:08 PM
  • I'm getting the same problem when trying to backup my ASUS P8P67 Win 7 Pro 64 bit PC which had been working just fine with WHS 2003. What's weird is that I also have a ASUS Win 7 Home 64 bit laptop where the backup works just fine even over WiFi.

I removed Norton and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and still the backup fails with the same error.

Regular Windows backup works just fine but not WHS 2011.

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:41 PM
  • I'm getting the same problem when trying to backup my ASUS P8P67 Win 7 Pro 64 bit PC which had been working just fine with WHS 2003. What's weird is that I also have a ASUS Win 7 Home 64 bit laptop where the backup works just fine even over WiFi.

I removed Norton and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and still the backup fails with the same error.

Regular Windows backup works just fine but not WHS 2011.

In researching the problem I found that for some reason the Network Service account is getting an Accessed Error.  The GUID in the was a VSS appl ID.  I tried to look at the settings for the appl ID using DCOMCNFG but all the security items for the appl ID were grayed out.  I tried the usual admin tricks but the results were the same.  

I figured that some how the permission got re-configured.  It was easier to rebuild that start doing the deep digging that I would have had to do to fine the solution.  Besides in the end I would have probably needed to rebuild the system.

Glenn   

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:08 PM