Security flaw in email account

General discussion

• Here is the scenario:

I have a lost/stolen device that has access to my email account.  To prevent any unauthorized access to my account, I want to change the password.  However, to do that, microsoft requires a passcode that is sent to the cell phone listed on my account.  Unfortunately, I recently changed cell phone numbers and the one listed on the account is no longer active.  To change my phone number on the account, for some reason, microsoft requires one month to review that change!  Therefore, I have no way of changing my email account password for at least one month.  That means someone else potentially has unauthorized access to my emails during this long period!  I informed microsoft of this issue through chat support, but was told there was nothing that could be done.  I asked if access from specific devices could be blocked, they said that they don't offer that security feature yet.  It seems to me that this should not be such a difficult problem to solve.  Am I missing something or is microsoft really that stupid?

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 10:11 PM