Performance of the sql compact sync-provider is horrible. It should be easy for you to improve it greatly. When will the next version be available? RRS feed

• Question

• We are developing an application where we are using sync services for ado.net (desktop). As the ship-date comes closer, we are running into some serious performance-issues.
    We are using it in download-only-mode, so the insert-performance (in ApplyChanges of SqlCeClientSyncProvider) is the main problem.

SqlCE is a lightning fast local database when it's utilized properly, but SqlCeClientSyncProvider it making it seem snail slow.

Inserting a few hundred rows takes several seconds, with proper use of connections and SqlCeResultSet it should take milliseconds.

And you are certainly aware of these issues:

January 12, 2009, Sean Kelley wrote in this thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/uklaunch2007ado.net/thread/2988bdef-b946-4d2a-a5e2-fe87bdebf6b8/

The SQL Compact team has also put together a prototype of a version of the Compact provider that leverages SqlCEResultSet which improves insert performance drastically. I meet with them next week to determine the appropriate ship vehicle for these changes. Again, I do not have hard dates yet but know that we recognize that this is a huge gap in our current product offering and will make efforts to address this gap.

And Wednesday, January 14, 2009 in this thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/uklaunch2007ado.net/thread/ec51bc07-f5fe-4218-ba77-bbb34cde4489/

We are also aware of the improvements that can be realized through a more intelligent use of CE connection objects. These improvements are a no brainer and will be our first line of attack. 

That is 4 months since now, so my question is: will there be a new version soon? Or a CTP? Or simply a service pack, fixing the “no brainer”-connection issue, that would help a lot.

Sync services is working great for us otherwise, but the performance is killing us.

Regards,

Eivind T

• Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 3:18 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:58 AM

All replies