locked
WHS Client Restore RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • I am so impressed I had to write it down.

     

    Yesterday a hard drive failed in one of my home PC's (a client of my WHS).

     

    I installed a new hard drive, just happened to identical to the failed one, and booted off the Restore CD. Got to the point where it wanted to connect to the WHS and promptly failed. (I assumed its due to no DHCP on my local home LAN). So turned on DCHP on my ADSL Modem/Router, and rebooted, and this time I got a connection to my WHS, and ran through a complete restore. Two really minor issues.

    1. The time was wrong after the restore. (not sure I can explain this, but easy enough to resolve).

    2. The regional settings were not restored correctly. (again no big deal to resolve).

     

    If I had to make a suggestion here, it would be that during the Restore the user is offered the opportunity to set IP Address details manually. There are some of us who prefer to know who is using which addresses on their network, and have DHCP turned off.

     

    Overall, I would really have to congratulate the WHS team on putting together a solution that would win over many of the Microsoft critics. A job really well done guys.

     

     

    Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:19 PM

All replies

  •  loloaqic2 wrote:

    If I had to make a suggestion here, it would be that during the Restore the user is offered the opportunity to set IP Address details manually.

    Good idea, just post this on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site or vote when someone else already made this suggestion.

     

     

     loloaqic2 wrote:
    There are some of us who prefer to know who is using which addresses on their network, and have DHCP turned off
    So link IP address to MAC address in DHCP server.

    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:08 PM
    Moderator
  • Regarding manual network configuration during restore, see this Connect feedback. Feel free to vote, as it sounds like you'd find it useful. Smile
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:44 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Ken
    Just clicked this link and found that material isn't there any more. I am doing a WHS PC Restore just now and would value the ability to specify the server by IP address rather than by name. Any chance you could post a new link? Thanks.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:24 PM
  • JamesDaniel said:

    Hi Ken
    Just clicked this link and found that material isn't there any more. I am doing a WHS PC Restore just now and would value the ability to specify the server by IP address rather than by name. Any chance you could post a new link? Thanks.


    The link was to vote for that feature on Connect.  It is not currently possible to do what you want.  If you are having problems with a restore, I would suggest you start your own thread and post as many details as possible.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:58 PM
    Moderator