Reschedule Uncompleted Work feature does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For some of the tasks in my project, i encounter the following when I use the Reschedule Uncompleted Work feature:

1. For some tasks, none of the past planned work is rescheduled.
    2. For some tasks with several resources, past planned work is rescheduled for some of them, for others it is not rescheduled.

What could be the problem?

We are using project server online 2016 and Project Pro 2016.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:38 PM

Answers

• Benoit,

What is the setting for "Split in-progress tasks" (in the Project Schedule Options)?  If that box is cleared AND you have recorded an Actual Start for a task, then the remaining work for that task will not be re-scheduled.  The same rule applies to the individual assignments on the task - an assignment with an Actual Start will NOT be re-scheduled, but other assignments will.  Actual Starts can be imposed manually or through a timesheet system.  The latter seems consistent with your observations.

I keep the "Split in-progress tasks" box checked as a rule.  Clearing it overrides logic.

• Marked as answer by Benoit1 Monday, May 28, 2018 7:04 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 9:27 PM

All replies

• Benoit1,

Automatic resource leveling can cause these symptoms (at least in earlier versions).  Assuming similar behavior in Project Pro 2016, you'll need to schedule the project without leveling, then run the Update Project dialog.  Then re-enable the resource leveling.

Is this your situation?

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:22 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Automatic resource leveling is not enable.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Benoit1,

Other ideas:

1. Constraints: "Reschedule Uncompleted Work" uses a SNET constraint to re-schedule unstarted tasks.  This doesn't work for tasks that already have a constraint (exception: existing SNET constraints with an earlier date may be replaced.)

2. Complex resource assignments: I've occasionally seen such unexpected behavior after editing resource assignments in one of the usage views.  Don't remember why.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I am not in situation 1 and situation 2.

So I guess i will have to reschedule the work manually.

Thanks,

Benoit

• Edited by Benoit1 Friday, May 18, 2018 7:03 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 7:03 PM
  • Benoit,

What is the setting for "Split in-progress tasks" (in the Project Schedule Options)?  If that box is cleared AND you have recorded an Actual Start for a task, then the remaining work for that task will not be re-scheduled.  The same rule applies to the individual assignments on the task - an assignment with an Actual Start will NOT be re-scheduled, but other assignments will.  Actual Starts can be imposed manually or through a timesheet system.  The latter seems consistent with your observations.

I keep the "Split in-progress tasks" box checked as a rule.  Clearing it overrides logic.

• Marked as answer by Benoit1 Monday, May 28, 2018 7:04 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 9:27 PM
  • Hi Tom, that was my problem.  Thanks for your help!
    • Edited by Benoit1 Monday, May 28, 2018 7:12 PM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 7:04 PM