Wrong XP validation key RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have purchased my laptop (ACER Travelmate) some years ago and had in it installed a Home XP version.

However, every time i try to validate it, it just doesn't do. and i am afraid it all has to do with a silly technician who helped me fix another problem - might be possible that he reinstalled another XP??? i really can't and won't theorise. all i need to know is how to fix the problem, i HAD a genuine XP with its validation underneath my laptop and all i have been enjoying from Microsoft is the silly blue star on the bottom right of my screen and the TERRIBLE inability to switch to IE 7.

HELP...

Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:24 PM

Answers

• Elpis,

What you have described by having a technician perform repairs on your system is a common scenerio. Your system can run fine for a short time or longer periods until the product key has been identified as non-genuine. Do you have the original software which came with your Acer Laptop @ the time of purchase? Do you remember the repair facility where you took the system in for repair? There is a possibility you may need to reformat the computer using the reinstallation media which came with your system. 

Before troubleshooting your problem we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.  Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:11 PM
  • Stephen,
    Answering to your kind reply:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?          HOME XP
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?           Neither
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?      Yes, it writes "Acer Incorporated" in bold
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing. Everything was ok, but this changed after i took my laptop to a technician to have it fixed after a virus crash, and he told me he reinstalled all programs, but to my surprise some time later, i realised that he had installed another XP product and NOT the one included in my Acer pack.

so... what do i do? do i just save the files i need saved and REinstall the original Home XP product? If yes, do i just insert the Windows XP cd included in the laptop case?

THANK YOU very much for your help, really.

Eleni
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Elpis,

Use the Recovery Soution supplied by your computer manufacturer to do a clean installation of XP Home onto your computer.

The best advice on how to use the Acer-supplied recovery solution will be at the Acer tech support page for your exact model of Acer laptop.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:59 PM
  • do you mean the ACER recovery CD?

do i need to backup my files???

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Elpis,

Yes

and

Yes.

The best place to get specific instructions on how to use the Acer Recovery CD is at the Acer support site for your exact model of Acer laptop.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Elpis,

Dan is correct. There will be information on Acer's website which will provide you with technicial information for reinstalling the Acer Recovery CD. As Dan indicated ensure you backup all your data files, any MP3 files, pictures or any files you deem important. Before reformatting make a second check to ensure all your information has been backed up. 

Have a great day!

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:57 PM
  • thank you.
    have a good rest of week from sunny hot Athens, Greece.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Your welcome.... And yes it is hot but beautiful there....

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:10 PM

All replies

• Elpis,

What you have described by having a technician perform repairs on your system is a common scenerio. Your system can run fine for a short time or longer periods until the product key has been identified as non-genuine. Do you have the original software which came with your Acer Laptop @ the time of purchase? Do you remember the repair facility where you took the system in for repair? There is a possibility you may need to reformat the computer using the reinstallation media which came with your system. 

Before troubleshooting your problem we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.  Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:11 PM
  • Stephen,
    Answering to your kind reply:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?          HOME XP
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?           Neither
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?      Yes, it writes "Acer Incorporated" in bold
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing. Everything was ok, but this changed after i took my laptop to a technician to have it fixed after a virus crash, and he told me he reinstalled all programs, but to my surprise some time later, i realised that he had installed another XP product and NOT the one included in my Acer pack.

so... what do i do? do i just save the files i need saved and REinstall the original Home XP product? If yes, do i just insert the Windows XP cd included in the laptop case?

THANK YOU very much for your help, really.

Eleni
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Elpis,

Use the Recovery Soution supplied by your computer manufacturer to do a clean installation of XP Home onto your computer.

The best advice on how to use the Acer-supplied recovery solution will be at the Acer tech support page for your exact model of Acer laptop.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:59 PM
  • do you mean the ACER recovery CD?

do i need to backup my files???

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Elpis,

Yes

and

Yes.

The best place to get specific instructions on how to use the Acer Recovery CD is at the Acer support site for your exact model of Acer laptop.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:49 PM
  • thank you.

will try tomorrow - here it is too late even to think straight.

be well - thank you for the feedback.

Eleni
  • Elpis,

Dan is correct. There will be information on Acer's website which will provide you with technicial information for reinstalling the Acer Recovery CD. As Dan indicated ensure you backup all your data files, any MP3 files, pictures or any files you deem important. Before reformatting make a second check to ensure all your information has been backed up. 

Have a great day!

Stephen Holm, MS

• thank you.
    have a good rest of week from sunny hot Athens, Greece.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Your welcome.... And yes it is hot but beautiful there....

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:10 PM