Invalid product key for Windows XP 2c RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently running Windows Xp Media but for reasons not worth going into I have to reinstall and I no longer have the install cd. I purchased an oem copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 2c and I keep on getting an invalid product key error. I have the CoA and everything else that came with the package. So whats the next step?

Cheers,

Joel-

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hello Joel,

If you are using the product key that came with your copy of Windows and it will not let you use it then typically that means the product key is for a different version of Windows.  I would highly suggest returning your copy to the seller for a full refund.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:49 PM
  • HEY!

No problem simply contact the manufacturer's tech support and request the OEM reinstallation media. There should be no problem with this.  Then you wont have to take out a mortage ;-).

Take care

STephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:43 AM

All replies

• Hello Joel,

If you are using the product key that came with your copy of Windows and it will not let you use it then typically that means the product key is for a different version of Windows.  I would highly suggest returning your copy to the seller for a full refund.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Matt,

Thank you or your help. So I talked to the seller (Newegg.com) and got the expected response - call Microsoft and see what they say. Which I did. The gentleman over at MS confirmed that the product key I was given with the OEM version was indeed correct, but since it was an OEM he wasn't able to offer me technical support without the requisite $59.95 fee. Yikes!

So if the product key is valid, is there something else I'm doing wrong? I'm just looking to do a complete reinstall of windows.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers.

Joel-

Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:43 PM
  • You need to use both the product key and the Windows XP CD it came with and perform a clean install.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

You need to use both the product key and the Windows XP CD it came with and perform a clean install.

Carey,

Thank you for your comment. However, I'm not sure that its applicable. I am currently running Windows Media XP and would like to perform a clean install. The laptop I have never came with an installation cd, only a system recovery disc, and sadly that is missing. I have purchased and OEM version of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and when prompted entered the product key. Unfortunately I continue to get the "Invalid Product Key" error, even though the key is exactly as written on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA). The folks at Microsoft confirm that the product key is in fact good, yet I still get the same error message.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Joel-
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:02 PM
  • You receive an error message after you enter the product key when you try to install Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310637/en-us

Make sure you are reading and entering the product key correctly.  Sometimes a B is actually an 8 or an 8 is actually a B.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Carey,

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a whirl... If that doesn't work maybe I'll just take out a mortgage on the house and get a Mac.

Cheers,

Joel-
    Monday, March 17, 2008 1:20 AM
  • HEY!

No problem simply contact the manufacturer's tech support and request the OEM reinstallation media. There should be no problem with this.  Then you wont have to take out a mortage ;-).

Take care

STephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:43 AM