none
Windows sluggish after connecting a huge NAS storage space RRS feed

• Question

• I work on Windows 7 ( 64 bit). When I attached a 35TB NAS storage as mapped drive to my workstation , the response of the OS seems to be get very sluggish. To compensate the slow response, I am using multi-threading, separating the GUI thread from the application layer. I am using VC++ 2012 for my development.  The OS response is slow even when no application is running on the system and no file is accessed from the NAS storage. Is there an upper recommended limit to external storage on Windows? Am I missing anything here?

Even without a huge storage, Windows OS seems to freeze for a minute or so whenever any mapped drive is removed, as it tries to scan for the presence of drive. How can this be prevented ? Is it inherent with MS Windows ? Will Linux would be better in such large storage scenarios?

• Moved by Baron Bi Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:46 AM not about development
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi seccpur,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ code issues. For your case, I suggest you post on Microsoft Community for better support.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Guido Franzke Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:57 AM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:35 AM
  • @Sera Yu : Thanks for your suggestion. I have posted the issue on Microsoft Community here Query ,but no solution yet. Btw any developer here come across similar issue ? Any advice from this forum?

• Edited by seccpur Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:55 AM