WHS backs up one client but not two others RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new OEM installation that will back one client (desktop) but not two other laptop clients.  When the each gets between 7% and 10% complete, I get the following error message (part of the error message cannot be read):  Failure Details for Volume (Local Disk):

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    (Exception from HRESULT:0x8007045D) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInterm
    at/Int32 errorCode Int ???????????????

I have tried using chkdsk and reinstalling the connection software on the clients, but nothing helps.  The desktop backs up without a problem.

Any suggestions folks?

Thanks,
    Charles
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 1:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Charles,
    please check the event logs on the clients for more detailed errors and run the command
    chkdsk /f /r
    on each of the drives, on which the backups fail.
    This should discover and eventually fix file system errors.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Hi Charles,
    please check the event logs on the clients for more detailed errors and run the command
    chkdsk /f /r
    on each of the drives, on which the backups fail.
    This should discover and eventually fix file system errors.
    Olaf

Thanks Olaf, I'll give that a try.  And hello from Texas!

Regards,
    Chas.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 7:33 AM
  • The chkdsk /f /r didn't work on either machine.  I loaded and ran the WHS Connector Troubleshooter software and it returned an error message that the Connector software on the client laptops and the server were not the same.  It also said to uninstall the software ans WHS folder and I did.  The Connector software was spooled from the server and installed and I tried again.  This time the backup on one client laptop got to 22% before it failed again.  I again ran the WHS Connector Troubleshooter and got the same message.  This sounds like a default error message, but I tried the uninstall, reinstall and backup again.  The result was the same; it failed at 22%.

The Connector software loaded on the desktop and one Vista 32bit laptop was loaded from the same CD as the two laptops that won't backup, so this makes no sense.  Could this have something to do with the 64 bit machines?

Thanks,
    Chas.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:28 AM
  • When you ran chkdsk on those two machines, did it report any errors?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Did you run chkdsk from a command prompt started as Administrator? If so, what was the error messages? Errors and warnings in the event logs?
    Is there enough free space on each of the drives (minimum 10%)?
    Olaf
    Monday, October 5, 2009 6:07 AM
  • When I ran the chkdsk /f /r as administrator, it didn't return any errors on either machine, nor is there anything in the error logs.

The two disks on the server are new 1.5TB Western Digital hard drives and they have nothing on them except the WHS software and the backups from the two machines that are backing up.

The Windows XP machine (decktop) and the 32 bit Vista Home Premium are backing up fine, but the two Vista 64bit machines.  Could this have anything to do with the problem?

I can't imagine uninstalling and reinstalling WHS from the server would help. 

Thanks,
    Chas.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:15 PM