changing XP Home OEM code RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok the first post had a server error and didnt post.

I have 2 dell computers with XP Home codes.  I have 1 Dell OEM Xp Home CD.  I reformatted the computer that I dont have the the OEM cd  for but the OEM product activation code is on the side of the computer.  During the install the code on the cd was automatically entered.  I was never prompted to enter the product key code.

After the install I manually installed sp2 as I already had it downloaded from microsoft for easier updating of family computers during reformats.  I tried to run Windows Product Key Update Tool but it says "key update tool is not a valid win32 application".

I dont want to connect to the internet and run the windows genuine advantage tool because I dont want microsoft to think that my product key code is being used on 2 computers and then flag my code making it invalid.

How do I change my pruduct key code to to other OEM code that I have that is unused at this moment?

update:  I just tried the keyupdatetool on my other fully updated computer w/ XP Home and sp3 and it still says it is not a valid win32 application

Monday, May 12, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

• stonny9,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I would like to provide some information which may help. There are two types of licenses for XP that consumers will encounter, retail (aka full packaged product), and OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.

OEM licenses for XP are tied to the first computer onto which they are installed and the license is not permitted to be moved on any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is really just a collection of parts, Microsoft has established that the motherboard is the base or "defining" component, and the OEM license is permanently tied to the motherboard.

I'm not quite sure if you are attempting to use the same product key on one machine for another machine.  If each machine originally came with a windows xp operating system,  (OEM)

please use the COA product key for that machine only.

Lori MS

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:36 PM