SimpleProvider with ChangeUnitVersionDefinition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to synchronize contacts, so i have to use ChangeUnitVersionDefinition.
    Each contact has subitems like "LastName", "EMail" etc. The subitem-Keys are strings, but the CustomFieldDefinition only has uint-ids.

Another problem:
    The subitems are not fixed, For example later i want to add a new subitem "Address" to the contact but there is no way adding new CustomFieldDefinition or ChangeUnitVersionDefinition to an existing meta-data-file.
    How can I add and delete CustomFieldDefinitions and ChangeUnitVersionDefinitions?

T_B__

Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hello T_B__,

By design, changing definition of an existing schema (i.e. adding / removing field definition) is not yet supported.

We are considering this feature for future versions.

For now, once you have determined that your schema definition needs to change, you will need to do a fresh full enumeration sync  (i.e. delete / replace the metadata store and perform an initial sync with the new schema).

Thanks,

Patrick
    • Proposed as answer by Adrian Mustea - MSFT Monday, October 26, 2009 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by T_B__86 Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:12 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hi,
          Regarding your question about ChangeUnitVersionDefinition & CustomFieldDefinition - please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd937288(SQL.105).aspx which will give you more details. In short custom field definitions only take a uint-id, but this is different the change unit id.

Thanks,
    --Muhunthan
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hello T_B__,

By design, changing definition of an existing schema (i.e. adding / removing field definition) is not yet supported.

We are considering this feature for future versions.

For now, once you have determined that your schema definition needs to change, you will need to do a fresh full enumeration sync  (i.e. delete / replace the metadata store and perform an initial sync with the new schema).

Thanks,

Patrick
    • Proposed as answer by Adrian Mustea - MSFT Monday, October 26, 2009 10:26 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hi,
          Regarding your question about ChangeUnitVersionDefinition & CustomFieldDefinition - please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd937288(SQL.105).aspx which will give you more details. In short custom field definitions only take a uint-id, but this is different the change unit id.

Thanks,
    --Muhunthan
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:56 PM