Wanting to clean up my C: drive . RRS feed

• Question

• #1. When I go to view my Windows directory is see a lot of files listed that look like this: C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB939683$. What are they, and can I delete them without messing up my system. There are also files with .tmp and .log - can I delete them.

#2. What are .vdm files? Can I delete them?

#3. Under my C: drive "Documents and Setting", I have a folders named: C:\Documents and Settings\Ali\Application Data, and C:\Documents and Settings\Ali\Local Settings\Application Data, that have some of the same files. Are these duplicates? e.g. Adobe, Google, and HP. Can I delete the duplicates.

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place. I just want to free up space on my "old" computer.

Thank you...

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:47 PM

Answers

• This forum is for problems with the forums. You may get better answer if you ask in Windows dedicated forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:57 PM
  • To free up hard drive space, I would use the built-in utility for this. It will know what can safely be deleted. On my Windows 7 computer it is in Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Free up disk space. It calculates how much can be freed up in each category and you select which to have deleted.

You can ask your question in a Microsoft Answers/Community forum dedicated to Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/ask-community/more?Family=Windows

Select your category of Windows, or select All Versions, then ask your question. They will want to know your version of Windows.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:37 PM

All replies

• This forum is for problems with the forums. You may get better answer if you ask in Windows dedicated forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Thank you...
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:02 PM
  • To free up hard drive space, I would use the built-in utility for this. It will know what can safely be deleted. On my Windows 7 computer it is in Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Free up disk space. It calculates how much can be freed up in each category and you select which to have deleted.

You can ask your question in a Microsoft Answers/Community forum dedicated to Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/ask-community/more?Family=Windows

Select your category of Windows, or select All Versions, then ask your question. They will want to know your version of Windows.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:37 PM