Problem finding server from PC restore wizard RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with the PC restore process.  My server hardware is the Acer Easystore H340, I start the PC to be restored with the Acer supplied PC recovery disk, but the wizard cannot find my server (perhaps due to much discussed DNS issues.  I have the option to do a manual search by entering the correct name of the server and the wizard finds it instantly. I am able to connect after supplying the correct administrator password.  So far, so good.  But the rub is the only backups showing in the select dialog are ones that have been marked "manual" backup.  All of my daily "automatic" backups do not apprear, and there is not a way that I can find to browse to them.  Am I stuck with only "manual" backups because I chose a "manual" connection?  If so, this is crazy; that is an absurd assumption that if I choose a "manual" connection them I must only want a "manual" created backup.  My freshest "manual" backup is more than four months old!  How does it help me to have daily backups if the moronic software won't allow me to choose the latest copy?  Does anyone have a workaround for this? 
    As always, perplexed by Windows
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:25 PM

Answers

• If you have a computer with multiple boot partitions, it's essential that you restore all partitions on the boot drive at the same time. Otherwise you will have a system that won't boot.

As for your backup strategy, install the connector only on the OS (on each computer) that's used the most, i.e. the default if you let the computer boot without intervention. All partitions will still be backed up.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

I have found it to be true that system won't boot after a single partition restore, however running the Windows 7 repair disk has always fixed the probem for me.  There is another great utility for arranging the start-up sequence and cleaning up names, etc.  It is called Easy BCD from NeoSmart Technologies.  It runs from Win7/Vista or XP.  It's a great tool for those of us not so interested in fixing Windows boot files from the command line.

Also, I feel I must apologize for my rant yesterday, I must have been having a bad day.  After my cooling off period, the wizard worked as it should, I had all the options for restore available to me. I don't know how or why the choice of computer to restore was skipped over the first time around; but as one who helps people fix problems for a living, I know sometimes the frustration level causes us to not see what we are looking at.  There is not a software problem with the wizard, simply a user problem (me).   However, the automatic connection issue remains, I always have to point to the server manually by name.  Not a big deal for me.

Thanks for all the help.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 12:18 PM

All replies

• When you connect to the server console, what backups does it show for the computer in question?
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:49 PM
  • When you connect to the server console, what backups does it show for the computer in question?

Well, after coming home from work, I started in again on this restore project and now I am unable to re-connect automatic or manually.  But I browsed into the backups listed for the PC in question via the WHS console, and discovered the problem with the list of backups was that it was for an entirely different partition. This particular computer has two partitions, one for Windows XP and one for Windows 7.  I no longer use the Win 7 since it was the evaluation version, so I am only interested in the XP.  I believe since it is connecting to the Win 7 backups, I will have to remove that computer from WHS.  I have it deactivated in WHS, but not removed.  I guess when I remove it, all the backups will go away, too.  No loss, not using them anyway.  So I guess what I am saying is that I have figured out what to do.  Thanks for your prompt answer.  I just have to keep fiddling until this thing connects again, have no idea why it won't now but did this morning.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 12:59 AM
  • I know it seems stupid to reply to my own post, but I realized I didn't tell everything about the listing problem.  On my dual-boot computers I use the computername-7 or computername-XP for the name in Windows 7 and Windows XP respectivly, so I guess that caused an issue of the names being too similar.  But I don't know why the recovery console just picks a list and doesn't give me the choice to change it.  In my case the drive was totally wiped, so where did it get the assumed computer name?  I have a total of 8 different computers backed up.  These are actually 4 computers with 2 partitions to dual boot on each.  Am I just asking for trouble here every time I need to restore?  Should I be doing this a different way?

Thanks

Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:15 AM
  • If you have a computer with multiple boot partitions, it's essential that you restore all partitions on the boot drive at the same time. Otherwise you will have a system that won't boot.

As for your backup strategy, install the connector only on the OS (on each computer) that's used the most, i.e. the default if you let the computer boot without intervention. All partitions will still be backed up.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:10 AM

I have found it to be true that system won't boot after a single partition restore, however running the Windows 7 repair disk has always fixed the probem for me.  There is another great utility for arranging the start-up sequence and cleaning up names, etc.  It is called Easy BCD from NeoSmart Technologies.  It runs from Win7/Vista or XP.  It's a great tool for those of us not so interested in fixing Windows boot files from the command line.

Also, I feel I must apologize for my rant yesterday, I must have been having a bad day.  After my cooling off period, the wizard worked as it should, I had all the options for restore available to me. I don't know how or why the choice of computer to restore was skipped over the first time around; but as one who helps people fix problems for a living, I know sometimes the frustration level causes us to not see what we are looking at.  There is not a software problem with the wizard, simply a user problem (me).   However, the automatic connection issue remains, I always have to point to the server manually by name.  Not a big deal for me.

Thanks for all the help.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 12:18 PM