Large file transfer from WHS system drive to shares slow and dies RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble copying files to my shares. This just started and I have not changed anything. Am able to copy from a shared folder on another computer the the WHS system drive just fine. However, when I try and copy that same large file (6GB) from the WHS system drive to the shared folders it starts out fast but eventually slows to a halt until the transfer fails.

I currently have 6 1TB drives in the storage pool with 2.5TB of free disk space.

When copying the file to the share the System process is the only one that gets high on CPU and it floats around 30% to 40%, but after about 30 seconds it drops to 0% and the transfer gets really slow (time remaining goes from 3 minutes to 125+ minutes) and eventually stops. Sometimes the System process comes back and starts using 1% or 2% and the transfer will continue, then after another 30 seconds it stops again.

No other process uses any significant CPU.

I have also checked the error logs and nothing related shows up.

www.justechn.com
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• I am having trouble copying files to my shares. This just started and I have not changed anything. Am able to copy from a shared folder on another computer the the WHS system drive just fine. However, when I try and copy that same large file (6GB) from the WHS system drive to the shared folders it starts out fast but eventually slows to a halt until the transfer fails.

I currently have 6 1TB drives in the storage pool with 2.5TB of free disk space.

When copying the file to the share the System process is the only one that gets high on CPU and it floats around 30% to 40%, but after about 30 seconds it drops to 0% and the transfer gets really slow (time remaining goes from 3 minutes to 125+ minutes) and eventually stops. Sometimes the System process comes back and starts using 1% or 2% and the transfer will continue, then after another 30 seconds it stops again.

No other process uses any significant CPU.

I have also checked the error logs and nothing related shows up.

www.justechn.com

Have you tried running chkdsk on all of the drives in your server?  If not, see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Hi,

Did you check the Metabase limited file size, remote to your server and right click your server name and chose properties, then enable edit

Maybe other software or a like change the setting somehow

My best
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:55 AM
  • kariya21,

I have run the chkdsk according to the link you provided. However, the windows that the script generates close automatically so I cannot see the results, only the original window remains open. Is there a way to modify the script so that the windows it generates will always stay open?

Also after the first scan finishes it tried to scan the system drive, but it cannot because it is in use. So it asks if I want to schedule a scan for the next reboot. Is there a way to automatically answer this? I try and run the script when I am sleeping, but it always stops at this question. If I stay up, then I wait for an hour or two for it to get to the question.
    www.justechn.com
    • Edited by RyanMc360 Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:08 PM one more question
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:04 PM
  • abobader,

I am not sure what you mean by "right click your server name"

Thanks
    Ryan
    www.justechn.com
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:05 PM
  • kariya21,

I have run the chkdsk according to the link you provided. However, the windows that the script generates close automatically so I cannot see the results, only the original window remains open. Is there a way to modify the script so that the windows it generates will always stay open?

The results of the chkdsk should be in the Event Logs (Application section if I remember correctly).

Also after the first scan finishes it tried to scan the system drive, but it cannot because it is in use. So it asks if I want to schedule a scan for the next reboot. Is there a way to automatically answer this?

No, but you can run chkdsk /r on the partitions on the primary drive manually (instead of using the script).  This way it will ask immediately.

I try and run the script when I am sleeping, but it always stops at this question. If I stay up, then I wait for an hour or two for it to get to the question.
    www.justechn.com

Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Everything checks out fine when I run chkdsk on all the drives.
    www.justechn.com
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Ok here is another bit that confuses me. I can copy large files (> 7TB) FROM WHS to any computer on my network, it goes fast and never has trouble. However, if I try and copy that same file TO WHS then it copies fast for a while and then fails. I never get any error message except when the transfer fails it says "There is a problem accessing \\home-server\Users\ Make sure you are connected to the network and try again"

The system process is the only one that gets high (about 20%) and after about 30 sec it drops to 0% and the transfer stops and eventually fails.

This is really getting annoying so any help is appreciated.
    www.justechn.com
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Do you have any USB drives in your storage pool? What you're describing sounds a lot like an issue with either your storage subsystem or your network interface...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Ok here is another bit that confuses me. I can copy large files (> 7TB) FROM WHS to any computer on my network, it goes fast and never has trouble. However, if I try and copy that same file TO WHS then it copies fast for a while and then fails. I never get any error message except when the transfer fails it says "There is a problem accessing \\home-server\Users\ Make sure you are connected to the network and try again"

The system process is the only one that gets high (about 20%) and after about 30 sec it drops to 0% and the transfer stops and eventually fails.

This is really getting annoying so any help is appreciated.
    www.justechn.com

What NIC driver did you use on your server (2003, XP, etc)?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Do you have any USB drives in your storage pool? What you're describing sounds a lot like an issue with either your storage subsystem or your network interface...
    No, I don't have any external drives. I described my system in the first post, but here is a link to a review I wrote when I first built the system. I have since upgraded the case and added a few more drives, but the guts are still the same.

If it was the network interface, shouldn't I have the same problem getting files? Getting files works perfectly, only putting files on the server has problems.

Other than chkdsk is there some other way to test the storage subsystem?

What NIC driver did you use on your server (2003, XP, etc)?
    I am using the drivers that came with the motherboard. I believe they are XP/2003, but I could be wrong. When I look at the NIC properties it says: Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC Driver Date: 12/12/2006 Driver Version: 5.663.1212.2006
    www.justechn.com
    • Edited by RyanMc360 Friday, October 30, 2009 4:40 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Ok I went out to the Realtek website and got the latest drivers, updated the system and restarted. Nothing changed.
    The driver I downloaded is:
    WinXP and WinServer 2003 Driver 5.719 2009/9/22
    www.justechn.com
    Friday, October 30, 2009 4:36 PM
  • I found this thread becaus I search for a solution to the same problem justechn described.

I see that this thread stopped several months ago and wonder if the problem was solved and if that's the case how it was solved?

Øystein
       Norway

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:56 PM
  • No, this was never solved completely. I was able to reduce the occurrence of the problem by moving my WHS to a much bigger switch. I think part of the problem must have been my old switch getting clogged up. Both the old and new switch were Gigabit, but the new switch seems much more robust.
    www.justechn.com
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Most often the cause of the problem is bad drivers from RealTek.

--
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:44 PM
  • No, this was never solved completely. I was able to reduce the occurrence of the problem by moving my WHS to a much bigger switch. I think part of the problem must have been my old switch getting clogged up. Both the old and new switch were Gigabit, but the new switch seems much more robust.
    www.justechn.com

My router is Gigabit (D-Link DIR-655), but I still run in to the problem very often now that I'm moving a lot of movie-files into the server.

Øystein
    Norway

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Like it has been said many times this is usually the result of poor drivers/network devices. 
    --
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Like it has been said many times this is usually the result of poor drivers/network devices. 
    --

I guess you speak about drivers for the Network Cards, but since I'm not to good at this, can you help me if I let you know the folowing?

At my WHS:

• Motherboard is MSI P6NGM-FIH, nForce-630i+GF7150, m-ATX
      with an Realtek RTL8211BL Ethernet adapter.
    • The driver is from NVIDIA
      Version 67.6.7.0
      Dated 12.10.2007

At my computer:
    (About to be rebuilt and upgraded as soon as I get all the files moved to the WHS)

• Motherboard is MSI 915P NEO2 Platinum, I915P,Socket-775
      with network adapter Broadcom BCM5751
    • The driver is from Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethternet Controller.
      Version 7.14.1.3
      Dated 16.06.2004

Can anyone help me finding the right drivers to make this work better?

Øystein
    Norway

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Hei Øystein - tror du skal titte litt på din router.

The symtoms descibed are equivalent to mine. I have narrowed my search down to a presumably unreliable router - like yours DIR-655. I did all kinds of updates/tweaks on my NICs - even replacing the onboard NICs with PCI NICs- to no avail.

The ultimate proof was when I bypassed the router, running NIC-to-NIC. No doubt. Rebooting the router now and then is my way of dealing with this so far.

Finn

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:30 AM
  • After I stopped trying to solve the problem via remote desktop I think I got closer to what might be the solution.  I hooked the keyboard and screen on to the server, ant then I read the error messages appearing on the blue screens showing up each time the server went down.  Two of the most common were:

• IRQL_NOT_SMALLER_OR EQUAL
    • INVALID_PAGE_FAULT
    • And one about memory....

I decided to check the memory status and downloaded Memtest (Pro Version) from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/.  I then burnt a bootable cd with the 32bit version and put it into the server and restarted it so that it booted from the CD.

• First the screen flooded over with error messages: clearly indicating something was wrong.
    • Then I shut down the server, removed one RAM-module and restarted it.
      No error messages after 100% search, so I shut the server down again.
    • I put the first RAM-module I had removed back in and removed the other before I restarted the server again.
      The screen now flowed over with error mesages again, but I wasn't sure if it was te RAM-module or the slot that was faulty, so I shut the server down again.
    • I removed the RAM-module that had given me trouble twice and then put in the good one again, this time in the slot that had not worked twice.  Then I restarted the server again.
      I left the test running the night over, and next day after running 1300% coverage test I shut the server down again.
    • Since I now had a working RAM-module and one that was clearly faulty I removed the memtest-CD from the drive and restarted the server with only one RAM-module.
      It now works as a clockwork and I have no problems at all.

I'm not sure if the memtest program could be downloadted and run under WHS OS.  But the PRO version gives you the oppurtunity to make bootable CD's for both 32 and 64 bit systems.

So it wasn't the driver at all.

Øystein Norway
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Ok I've read this thread trying to solve the issue myself as well.

I believe it's not something to do with the Windows Home Server, but actually the network card drivers for your PC. 

I'm running Windows 7 x64, and I  updated to the latest drivers, whenever MS Tells me there is an update.  However I just realized that there was an update to my network card drivers.  (My nic is a RealTek) What I did was, I rolled back the driver to the previous version and Voila! it works!

I now have stable large file transfers once again.  Weird that a later version that is WHQL from Microsoft would cause the issue.  But that was what worked for me.

I hope this helps people.  The version of the Network Driver I am currently running is... 7.17.304.2010

Hope this helps everyone.  Cheers!

Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:35 PM
  • This could be due to flow control not being used?

Are you going from a 1Gb to 100Mb connection?

If so then ensure you have flow control enabled on your network interface.

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:07 AM
  • I too have a D-Link Router (DIR-825) and am running an HP Data Vault Windows Home Server on my network. When transferring certain large files (such as ISOs) to the server, it would cause file transfers to eventually fail, going from 90+MB/s to less then 2MB/s to eventually failing. I also happen to own a Cisco Catalyst 2950 programmable switch (100mbs, DHCP enabled). After moving my desktop and my home server over to the Cisco router, all my network problems went away. Seems the D-Link isn't capable of transferring large files to Windows Home Server very reliably, possibly at 1000mbs speeds.

If others are interested, you can pick up a used Cisco Catalyst switch for about 150 bucks. I've never had problems with it as it's a comercial layer 2 device. The only down side is the 100mb/s cap with out a 1000mb/s GBIC adapter.

Thanks for the posts everyone! That helped me to track down the issues I was having. I was about ready to return my Home Server to the store - I can live with 12MB/s max transfer if it means reliability. :-)

Friday, April 22, 2011 4:08 PM
  • I was also having troubles transferring large AVI files to my WHS.  I tried bypassing my rounter by using a crossover cable directly to my WHS, but the problem persisted.  I thought it was bad memory so I ran the memory stick through 24 hours of MemTest 86, and it was fine.

I was able to fix the problem by disabling the Anti Virus software on WHS.  I used to run McAfee and never had troubles transferring files, but they stopped supporting WHS.  So I installed WHS ClamAV and that's when my problems started.  I had to go as far as stopping ClamAV from within the Task Manager to make sure it wasn't running anymore.

I hope this helps people who are still having troubles.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 3:26 PM