I have set-up a homeserver, and tried to use the remote web access from an external site. I have "scanned" the ports required 80,443, 4125 using https://www.grc.com and these appear open, I have rechecked the router to ensure that they are being forwarded to the correct device.
I am using a BT HomeHub3 (Infinity), which I i Have pnp set-up on, however, WHS 2011 could not set the port forwarding, I did this manually! I registered a xxxxxxxxx.homeserver.com domain, and have checked the address vis nslookup, all appears correct, I can run tracert -d to the domain from an external (next doors) device, but cannot get the webpage etc.
I can get this internally, by using http://SERVER and this presents me with the web page, so it appears something external is not "correct".
Been scanning forums etc for a resolution, but to no avail.
I should also add that I have set the system up for a friend, and have the same problem they are using a BT Home hub 1870(?) I think, but again the ports have been forwarded manually.
Does anyone have any suggestions.
I too am experiencing a similar issue. It doesn't appear the *.homeserver.com domain is being updated with my internet IP address. I too am able to access the box from PC on my LAN via https://server or https://192.168.0.100, but if i ping xxxx.homeserver.com name, it has no knowledge of my internet IP address. All ports are forwarded correctly (443,80) and the WHS firewall has been disabled.
Still having no joy! I have disabled the firewall, tested that port 80 and 443 are forwarded on the router, but still cannot connect from the internet :-( does anyone out there have it working with a BT router?
- Proposed as answer by traci.bMicrosoft employee Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:05 PM
I too have a BT Homehub 3 router and whereas I can access externally, there are definitely issues with this router - Google to confirm.
Basically it won't always let you set port forwarding correctly - or won't remember it when you do. I set up the ports for WHS pretty much when I got it and all is OK. But now it WON'T allow me to set up NEW port forwardings any more. BT are not helpful in resolving this issue at all.
Basically, I think it's at least possible that your router - while appearing to be correctly set up - actually isn't. Try borrowing a friend's and see if that works. The BT supplied one is buggy and unreliable.
I'm getting a cheap replacement from Ebuyer - fed up with wasting hours trying to program this POS!
Not much help for you, but possibly an explanation …