windows firewall greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows xp media center edititon and my windows firewall will not turn on it is greyed out.  I looked on my event viewer and it said that a machine wide group policy launch and activation for security descriptors is invalid.

The security descriptor is defined as an sddl security descriptor definitions language string and was therfore not performed. Could someone please tell me how to fix this problem.?   How do I find the group policy setting for this?
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:15 AM

Answers

• If you are using Windows Live OneCare, you *cannot* control the Windows Firewall as OneCare disables it since it has its own firewall. If you don't want to use the Windows Live OneCare firewall, then OneCare is not the solution for your system as it isn't a mix and match security solution. You'll need to uninstall OneCare to regain control of the Windows Firewall.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Windows Live One Becomes Your Firewall and The Setting's are GROUP POLICY!

DO NOT ALTER THE REGISTRY!!!!!!!

The only way to use The Windows Firewall is to Delete Windows Live One Care and this would be a mistake.

Live One Care is Rated THE BEST ANTI VIRUS AND FIREWALL AVAILABLE.

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:23 PM

All replies

• Are you using windows Live onecare?

Tom

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:51 PM
  • If you are not using Windows Live OneCare (which disables the Windows Firewall via Group Policy as it includes its own) perhaps this will help:

Start/Run - type "regedit" without the quotes, click OK

Delete these Registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\DomainProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\StandardProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

WARNING - editing the registry could cause your PC to be unusable.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:10 AM
  • What if I have windows live one care but i am not using it and my windows firewall is still greyed out?

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:05 AM
  • i have tried deleting those policies before and that did not work

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:08 AM
  • If you are using Windows Live OneCare, you *cannot* control the Windows Firewall as OneCare disables it since it has its own firewall. If you don't want to use the Windows Live OneCare firewall, then OneCare is not the solution for your system as it isn't a mix and match security solution. You'll need to uninstall OneCare to regain control of the Windows Firewall.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:54 PM
  •  larrymckinley77 wrote:

i have tried deleting those policies before and that did not work

LARRY...If you infact still have OneCare installed at this time take a look at this tool from Microsoft & Run per instructions. We have had many such customer issues when update from older versions to the latest Version 2.0 was downloaded,

LINK > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913786/en-us

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:24 PM
  • This did not help me

Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:37 PM
  • I had this issue after an undate this morning.  If you are using OneCare v2.0 or higher search the forum for the "Windows Live OneCare Firewall Repair Tool" post (postID=2468376).  I had to run the tool twice (normal w/ XP SP2) but now the firewall problem has been repaired.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 12:59 AM
  • MS. HAYES     PLEASE SEE THE FORUM  MODERATOR SECTION AT TOP OF THE HOME PAGE ..or at this link

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

Follow instructions carefully depending on whether you have the Windows XP or Vista operating system!

ARE YOU USING ONE CARE 2.0?  Open your One Care software ,click help, about One Care for answer.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 4:54 AM
  • Windows Live One Becomes Your Firewall and The Setting's are GROUP POLICY!

DO NOT ALTER THE REGISTRY!!!!!!!

The only way to use The Windows Firewall is to Delete Windows Live One Care and this would be a mistake.

Live One Care is Rated THE BEST ANTI VIRUS AND FIREWALL AVAILABLE.

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Please tell me how to fix this problem.  My firewall is greyed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS msdanasw@hotmail.com

Thanks

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:36 AM
  •  Danadana wrote:

Please tell me how to fix this problem.  My firewall is greyed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS msdanasw@hotmail.com

Thanks

See my post from December 18th above.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare, the Windows Firewall is disabled and all settings are performed from within OneCare.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:44 AM
  •  

hi wondering if you go a solution to it as I have same problem ,  or it windows reinstall Sad

Aalasandria

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:34 PM
  •  Aalasandria wrote:

hi wondering if you go a solution to it as I have same problem ,  or it windows reinstall

Aalasandria

What exactly is the "same problem?"

Are you running Windows Live OneCare? Did you uninstall OneCare and the firewall settings for Windows Firewall are still inaccessible, or are you simply unable to access the Windows Firewall settings and are not or have never used OneCare?

The usual solution is posted above, involving the registry edits.

-steve 

Friday, March 14, 2008 3:34 PM
  • I uninstalled Windows Live OneCare and was unable to turn the firewall back on.  This post was very helpful and now my firewall is working fine.  Thank you Stephen!
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:02 PM
  • You're welcome.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Hello, I realize this is an old topic, but I have the same issue where the windows firewall will not start after uninstalling onecare(some time ago now).  The service just won't start.  I've tried using the windows firewall 'fixit' from microsoft, as well as deleting the policy keys mentioned before, but no matter what I do I cannot get the firewall service to start.  When checking in group policy under windows firewall with advanced security, it says "there was an error open the windows firewall with advanced security snapin.  The windows firewall with advanced security snap-in failed to load.  Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing.  Error code: 0x6D9.".  Also, when checking in device manager, the windows firewall authorization driver is missing completely.  How can I get that back?  I think this must be the root cause of the issue.

Thanks

Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:51 PM
  • I think that you should reach out to Support - How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are now using Microsoft Security Essentials - 

To open an email support case, start here:

https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

Besides Support, other thoughts -

Did you run the OneCare cleanup tool?  http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

What security did you install?

Is this XP or Vista and what service Pack? If it is Vista, look at this article - specifically the workaround to reset the GP in Vista, ignoring the last 2 steps unless the PC is joined to a domain: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940668

Are there any other issues with the PC?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, October 22, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Hey,

You can try do the following it has worked for me:

-Start > Run> regedit.exe
    -Go to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall key
    -Backup/Export that key first, then remove/delete WindowsFirewall branch
    -Restart computer
    -Windows Firewall should come back again as default

and you might be surprised how much of a help system restore could be.

I hope it helps.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:40 PM