Live Mesh, Vista Media Center & Xbox 360 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have an Xbox 360 that I use as an extender for a Vista Media Center PC. The Media Center PC has Live Mesh installed to sync music and photos to and from a laptop. 

If I create an image on the Media Center PC by copying and pasting it from the laptop I can see it on the Xbox via Media Center and the Xbox picture library tab. If an image is created on the laptop and synced via Live Mesh to the MC PC then I can still view it via the Xbox picture library tab and I can see it in the folder via Media Center on the Xbox, but it is a blank thumbnail and I cannot actually view the image in Media Center.

After much trial and error it seems to be a permissions issue on the files. Files created on the MC PC have the correct sharing permissions but files created via Live Mesh syncing do not.

Anyone else using the Mesh this way and/or does anyone have any ideas how to set it up so the synced files can be shared with Media Center on the Xbox?
    Monday, January 5, 2009 12:10 PM

All replies

• What are the specific sharing permissions for the files? That is, the comparison of a file copied manually to the MCE or copied via a Live Mesh sync? Are the files contained within the same destination folder on the MCE box?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Yes, they are in the same folder - Public/Public Pictures

Live Mesh is running under an administrator account called 'admin'.

Files created by Live Mesh sync have security settings giving access to:
    system
    admin
    administrators

Files created manually have security settings giving access to:
    everyone
    system
    admin
    uuid:.... /Mcx1  (this is the Xbox I presume)
    BATCH
    administrators
    INTERACTIVE
    SERVICE
    wmpnetworkSvc 

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:20 AM
  • On the laptop, are the files also in the Public Pictures folder, or in your personal pictures folder?

When you look at the permission of the images files and click on Edit - are the check boxes greyed out (so the permissions are inherited from the folder) or are they explicitly set on each image file?

Just wondering if Mesh explicitly sets permissions or not (so that the permissions of the folder are used).
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:59 AM
  • I don't have the laptop in front of me at the moment so I shall check that out when I do. However, I added photos via the web interface yesterday and they synced to the MCE box and had the same permissions as above and therefore could not be viewed by Media Center. So maybe you are right that mesh does not seem to use the folder permissions but explicitly sets them on files?

Strange that the Xbox picture library can see all the images and Media Center cannot. Media Center seems to be a lot more picky about permissions.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 11:23 AM
  • JackInTheMesh said:

Strange that the Xbox picture library can see all the images and Media Center cannot. Media Center seems to be a lot more picky about permissions.

Yes, indeed.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:03 PM
  • I'll be interested in the official reply, but it sure appears that Live Mesh is not using the folder permissions, but applying them specific to each file it creates in the target folder.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Stefan Krueger said:

On the laptop, are the files also in the Public Pictures folder, or in your personal pictures folder?

When you look at the permission of the images files and click on Edit - are the check boxes greyed out (so the permissions are inherited from the folder) or are they explicitly set on each image file?

Just wondering if Mesh explicitly sets permissions or not (so that the permissions of the folder are used).

The images on the laptop are in my personal pictures folder and the check boxes are greyed out. The images synced to the MCE box are in the public pictures folder and the boxes are not greyed out.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Jack,
    I don't know the specifics of what permissions Media Center is looking for when trying to display pictures, but I can speak to what Mesh does.  The Mesh client does not (today) sync file attributes across machines.  The only thing it does when it places a file on disk is clear the "Not Content Indexed" file attribute.  It also does not set security permissions; it should just be like if you add another file manually (running as user/non-admin) to that folder.  It'd be interesting to compare the attributes and/or permissions on each of the files to see what is different and exactly what change causes Media Center to behave properly.

Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:42 PM
    Answerer
  •  Adding full control permissions for the user "uuid:100...... \Mcx1" makes a photo visible to Media Center straight away.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Are you needing to apply those permissions for every file?
    -steve
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Yep, it's a file by file thing. Adding the permission to the folder doesn't help. 

I've just noticed that running Mesh as user/non-admin was mentioned on this thread. I am running Mesh under the administrator user. Maybe adding a new standard account and running Mesh from there might help?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:34 AM
  • JackInTheMesh said:

Yep, it's a file by file thing. Adding the permission to the folder doesn't help. 

I've just noticed that running Mesh as user/non-admin was mentioned on this thread. I am running Mesh under the administrator user. Maybe adding a new standard account and running Mesh from there might help?

Hi,

From what Richard has said above, I don't believe that an admin/non-admin distinction would make a difference (as far as Live Mesh is concerned, that is).  But it should be noted that, currently, Live Mesh should always be installed under admin accounts.  It does not support, and people have reported various problems with, non-admin installs.  Just something to be aware of....

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Well, I've tried eveything I can think of and I'm still hitting a brick wall. I have noticed that if I login to the VMC box and run media center I can see all the pictures synched by mesh, but they are still blank thumbnails that cannot be viewed in Xbox 360...
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:19 PM
  • After reading a post on another forum I tried deactivating UAC and, hey presto, the photos appeared in the Xbox extender! Not sure why that would fix it but it has. However, there are now no tags for the photos shown on the Xbox - they don't seem to have synced properly.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:14 AM